Horrible constipation

shelbiekay
on 9/12/17 10:01 am
VSG on 08/22/17

I'm 3 weeks post op, walking one mile a day, drinking my fluids, and am in the pureed/soft foods phase. I am having horrible constipation problems since last week. I take a stool softener every day. My NP just keeps telling me to take Milk of Magnesia when needed, but by the time I feel I need it, its to late and it is a miserable situation.

Also my NP does not want me to take Miralax due to dependency issues

...any words of advice?

CC C.
on 9/12/17 10:14 am

Wish I could help, but my surgeon suggested daily Miralax. I take half a dose every morning.

Gwen M.
on 9/12/17 10:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My understanding of Miralax is that it's a non-stimulant laxative so doesn't have the dependency issues that others have. I use it to keep as regular as I want to be, but I'm still totally able to have a bowel movement if I don't use it for a few weeks.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rocky513
on 9/12/17 10:32 am - WI

You won't become dependent on Miralax. That is why doctors recommend we take it daily. You do have to drink a lot of fluids with it. It draws fluid into the colon to soften and aid in elimination. It is very similar to a stool softener, but works faster.

You can and will become dependent on MOM if you take it too often.

The biggest culprit in constipation is lack of fat in the diet and not drinking enough. 64 ounces is the minimum amount we are supposed to drink. I have to drink at least 120 ounces to stay regular. I also eat full fat foods. Fat does not make you fat, carbs do. Don't be afraid of butter, bacon, avocados, full fat cheeses and yogurts, etc. They will help with constipation and make you feel more satisfied after you eat them. Low fat foods often have added carbs to make them taste better. Check the label... it's true.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

diane S.
on 9/12/17 10:59 am

Well keep ahead of this and take Mirilax daily. My surgeon says you can take it every day of your life. He says milk of magnesia can cause a dependency but not the mirilax. Don't wait until you are desperate. Stuff like bennefiber is not worth much. Keep well hydrated and do a lot of walking. Don't hesitate to resort to an ennema or suppository if you get desperate. These days will pass when you get to where you can have the natural fiber of veggies and such.

I put flax seeds in my GY each day which works well, but 3 weeks is too soon for flax seeds as they could get in your staple line. GL diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Kristi T.
on 9/12/17 11:04 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

My NP suggested Natural Calm, you can find it any natural food store or natural food section of the grocery store. It's a little pricey, but the container lasts forever because you only take 1/2tsp to 2tsp daily. It has been a lifesaver for me. Miralax was suggested by my bariatric team because it has no dependency issues, it just didn't work for me but has for a lot of people here. I know it's miserable, I hope you find what works for you!

White Dove
on 9/12/17 12:41 pm - Warren, OH

If you are still taking pain pills, they will cause constipation also.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

shelbiekay
on 9/12/17 1:11 pm
VSG on 08/22/17

I haven't taken pain pills for over 2 weeks.

NoraM13
on 9/12/17 1:42 pm
VSG on 08/21/17

I'm having the same problem. My surgeon told me to take colase and milk of magnesia. I really don't like the MOM because I end up running to the bathroom every 20 minutes. I bought a tea called Smooth Move and drank half a cup of it last night. It has helped a bit. I'm sure there are potential dependency issues with that too, but for now it seems like the best option.

5'2" VSG: 8/21/17 HW: 261 SW:243 CW: 193

Pre-Op: 15 M1: 19.8 M2: 10.5 M3: 13.7

shelbiekay
on 9/12/17 2:04 pm
VSG on 08/22/17

Hi Nora,

That is the same thing I was told. My NP said you can up to 4 Colace per day and drink lots of liquids.

Most Active