Two weeks post op...looking for tips and tricks

kim79
on 9/13/17 11:15 am

I am officially two weeks post op. I am looking for tips and tricks. I am looking for any help you can send my way. I want to be successful at this and do it right. I am looking to you guys to give me all the help I can get.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/17 12:18 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

Be strict with yourself for as long as you can, because will power and motivation get harder to sustain the further out from surgery that you get! Being strict means eating only foods that have at least 1g of protein for every 10 calories, weighing your meals to be sure you never eat more than 4oz, drinking at least 64oz of zero calorie liquid per day, never drinking with meals and eating no more than 4 times per day. Once you start eating less protein packed foods, more calories, and more times per day it is really hard to reign yourself back in!

kim79
on 9/13/17 12:30 pm

Thanks! I want to get this right from the start I need to order a food scale right now.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/13/17 7:49 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Great advice.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/13/17 1:39 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Read as many posts as you can on the forums. There have been tons of questions asked here over the years, and you have access to LOTS of helpful information here.

A few random thoughts off the top of my head:

• Work your plan HARD. Weight loss will never be as easy as it is in the first few months, physically and mentally, so stick to the plan your surgeon gave 110%.
  • Drink drink drink! Hydration is important to healing, so carry a water bottle wherever you go.
  • Log every bite you take, including nibbles and tastes. Use a food scale to measure your portions so that you can be exact.
  • Take lots of pictures of yourself as you lose weight. When you're feeling discouraged-- and you'll have days where you are-- you can look back at how far you've come.
  • Stalls and slowdowns happen. Most people lose a lot of weight in the first few weeks, then see their loss slow down to 1lb/week or less. This is part of the process; we didn't gain all of our weight in a day, we won't lose it in a day either. Search the forums for "three week stall."
  • Hair loss happens to most people, and vitamins won't stop it.
  • Loose skin also happens to most people, and vitamins, creams, lasers, and wraps won't do a damn thing to prevent it.
  • Take your vitamins religiously. You can get VERY sick from deficiency, and it's easy to stay ahead of it by taking your pills.
  • Stay accountable. Come to the forums and share your good moments and bad moments. There's a wealth of support and information here if you're willing to read and listen.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kim79
on 9/13/17 4:12 pm

I need to get my vitamins. Thank you for all of the advice!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/14/17 4:04 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Did your surgeon's office give you a list of vitamins that you need to take? I started mine a week after surgery, so I'm surprised that you haven't taken any yet.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views