Awful nausea...3 weeks post op.

Carmaneel
on 9/17/17 9:51 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 08/25/17

Hi all,

As of the 15th I am 3 weeks post op. I had some horrible nausea and vomiting in the hospital but it was gone by the time I left and hasn't been an issue since.

However, as of this morning I woke up terribly nauseous. I managed to have a sip of water to take my morning vitamins and PPI and have had 2 small bites of plain yogurt. Nothing seems to be settling my stomach or taking the edge off.

Has anyone else been through this? Should I be worried that I am suddenly nauseous again 3 weeks out?

VSG: Aug 25th, 2017|| HW: 398 CW: 250 GW: 190 Age: 29 | 5'9"

CC C.
on 9/17/17 1:36 pm

You could be sick from an unrelated virus or eaten something off?

missc_26
on 9/17/17 2:32 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I had nausea and it was caused by acid reflux. I had to change multivitamin & protein shakes a few times before I found ones that wouldn't trigger an upset stomach.

Check in with your Dr/surgeon as you may need to change PPI brand or up the dose.

Good luck

Shannon S.
on 9/17/17 3:58 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I wouldn't play with that. Best to call surgeon and not play guessing games. Hopefully it is nothing.

hollykim
on 9/18/17 7:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 17, 2017 at 4:51 PM Pacific Time, Carmaneel wrote:

Hi all,

As of the 15th I am 3 weeks post op. I had some horrible nausea and vomiting in the hospital but it was gone by the time I left and hasn't been an issue since.

However, as of this morning I woke up terribly nauseous. I managed to have a sip of water to take my morning vitamins and PPI and have had 2 small bites of plain yogurt. Nothing seems to be settling my stomach or taking the edge off.

Has anyone else been through this? Should I be worried that I am suddenly nauseous again 3 weeks out?

dehydration causes nausea.are getting 64+ oz of liquid every day?

at three weeks out liquids are still your main priority.

Carmaneel
on 9/18/17 7:45 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 08/25/17

I'm pretty sure I was slightly dehydrated. The day before I didn't get 64 oz in. However on the day of the nausea I managed to (all I consumed that day was water) and today I'm on track again and there's no sign of the nausea. *fingers crossed* that I'm over the hill with this.

adistacke
on 9/18/17 9:33 am
VSG on 05/16/17

I had the exact same thing happen at week 3...it happened when i started soft food cause i think i started eating things that didn't work for me like refried beans (which were on the list). I was taking zofran and compazine around the clock, quit taking vitamins and they increased my protonix (PPI) to twice a day which make it tolerable but still horrible. I was basically told that they see 2 groups of patients, one group does really well with very little issues and the other group has a lot of gerd and nausea issues. The surgeon's nurses kept telling me around 6-8 weeks, everyone turns the corner and all these horrible side effects stop. She was completely right however i still get nauseated from time to time. I quit taking PPIs and nausea meds because i had issues with my liver enzymes and they suspected meds but we don't know which one. Now i try to drink more water as someone suggested, deep breathe, go for a walk, get fresh air, etc. I found the first 2 months to be fairly brutal so hope you don't have to go through that but once i started regular food, things have been so much better and i feel great. Good luck to you!

Carmaneel
on 9/18/17 7:42 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 08/25/17

Thank God I'm not the only one they prescribed Zofran to. My nausea I'm hospital was so awful I ended up having a 3 day stay. However I'm doing much better now and managed to survive the day without any Zofran. I think I may have been a bit dehydrated but will continue to monitor and talk to my surgical team if needed.

Valerie G.
on 9/18/17 11:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My money is on dehydration...especially since you woke up that way and haven't had much to drink since. Many actually keep water at their bedside to drink in the night to avoid morning nausea.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Carmaneel
on 9/18/17 7:40 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 08/25/17

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm doing much much better today and I've managed to get 4 bottles of water in plus my shakes.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views