Getting Back on track?

Missy-37
on 9/20/17 7:10 am, edited 9/20/17 7:17 am
VSG on 01/06/17 with

I'm 8 months out and within the last month I haven't lost. Now I was on vacation for 2 weeks and since then I haven't been able to get back into the mindset. I track but I honestly haven't been eating the best, been snacking, and haven't been exercising. I do weigh and measure but know I go over my calories too much lately. So my question is if I get back on track with my eating, tracking, measuring, etc will my tool continue to help me to start to lose again? My surgeon said I could lose another 20-30 but it will be slow... is it possible I'm done losing? My surgeon also said this is around the time people get to comfortable and stop doing what they are doing. How do I avoid this? Tips for getting back on track?

Gwen M.
on 9/20/17 7:26 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you get back on track, you will keep losing weight, yes. Your tool is still there, and will always be there. If you put sliders into it, or graze, your tool can't do its job. But if you stick to dense proteins and planned meals with no grazing, your tool can work correctly.

You can definitely still lose weight - you're only 8 months post-op! I'm 3 years post-op and still losing weight. Sure, it's slower than it was in the beginning months, but whatever. The only time I'll be finished losing weight is when I start eating at maintenance levels. That's true for anyone whether they've had surgery or not. If you eat at a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight.

How do you avoid complacency? Therapy helps me. Reminding myself of why I want to reach my goal helps me. Reminding myself that I'm not ready to stop helps me too.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 9/20/17 7:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've just read through your posting history and it seems like vigilance is something you've been struggling with for a while. I'm sorry. I definitely recommend that you find a therapist to help you work to figure out your motivation and how to stay on track. Weight loss isn't a temporary diet, it's a lifestyle you'll need to maintain for forever if you want to keep the weight off for forever.

In the meantime, it might be worth trying to think back to when your vigilance and motivation were at their highest. What was going on then? What were you thinking? What kept you feeling successful and on track?

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

White Dove
on 9/20/17 8:16 am - Warren, OH

You will only lose more weight if your calories are less than what you burn. If you do that, you will lose at eight months out or at eight years out.

Your tool will not help a lot now because it has "grown up". A tiny "newborn" pouch can only hold a few tablespoons at the most. By eight months, your pouch is now an adult pouch and can hold a lot of food.

So the only way to actually lose weight now is to cut calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 9/20/17 8:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

At 3.5 years post-op, I have not found this to be true. My sleeve still provides me with quite a bit of restriction and I certainly can't eat the quantities I could pre-op. Sure, there's less restriction than when I was newly post-op and still healing, but since fully healing, my capacity has not increased noticeably in the last 3.5 years.

White Dove
on 9/20/17 8:43 am - Warren, OH

You are also aware of what you eat and careful of what you weigh. I may not be able to eat the same amounts as before, but I can definitely eat more than enough to maintain my weight and can easily overeat in calories. That is partly because weighing less means that I need much less calories to maintain.

At then years out with RNY, restriction only happens with dense protein. I can eat unlimited sliders and a lot of food if i take it slowly.

When newly post-op, I could not have overeaten even if I wanted to. At about eighteen months, I one day ate half of a Subway sandwich. It was a shock, and after that I no longer was able to rely in restriction.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Erin T.
on 9/20/17 10:04 am
VSG on 01/17/17

At 8-months (like the original poster) I still have a ton of restriction. I can only eat 2.5-3oz of dense protein. I'm sure I could eat a considerable portion of slider food, but I haven't tested it. I assume that my sleeve will continue to mature and I'll be able to eat more dense protein even. I have co-worker who had her sleeve with the same surgeon as me and I watched her eat a half-pound burger (no bun) and a side salad. Terrifying!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/17 11:02 am

omg I could never eat that much at one time, wouldn't even try, you know when you get to that point where you feel like you just have to sigh, that to me mean done, otherwise I know I'm not gonna feel well. Everyone is different. BTW is that co worker at goal? Gotta run, having a molar removed ugh.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/21/17 1:19 pm

At 9 years out last night I ate 3/4 lbs of shrimps, and 3 "fresh rolls (lettuce not rice)" California sushi slices. 30 min alter I had 1 cup of strawberries.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 9/25/17 6:13 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I am two years out and I definitely have not had an increase in capacity.

I think it's more likely that people stretch their esophagus when they overeat with a sleeve, just because the part we have remaining does not really stretch much, if at all.

If we continually overeat, we reset our satiation chemically in the brain-endocrine system. So, you can literally train yourself to eat yourself sick...sleeve or no.

Measuring is important because it help prevent this.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active