Restless legs syndrome?

LaurieJ64
on 10/19/17 11:16 am

Hi, I am at two weeks post op (down 19lbs,total 67lbs since January) and am having some problems with my legs right before I go to bed. It's like I have to move them or walk around. It is very uncomfortable and i did not sleep really well last night. I wound up taking my benzo, lorazapam and that helped. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm taking my chewable vitamins, iron supplement, and spacing the calcium pill like they said. Could this be vitamin related. I'm meeting my protein goals and am usually very close to fluid goals. I called my surgeon's office and they said to follow up with my primary. I see the surgeon this Monday. Do they usually do labs at that first post op appointment?

Gwen M.
on 10/19/17 12:56 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It's somewhat abnormal for vitamin issues to show up very soon post-op, but definitely talk to your doctor.

Have you been moving more post-op than you did in your pre-op life? It could be as simple as "I'm moving more and not stretching, so my legs get crampy." That happens to me from time to time.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rocky513
on 10/19/17 2:49 pm - WI

How much water are you drinking? Dehydration will cause leg cramping. Remember that 64 ounces is the minimum required amount. Many of us need much more fluid to feel good. I drink 120 ounces daily. If I drank only 64 ounces, I would have leg cramps...bad!

Iron deficiency (low ferritin) can cause restless leg syndrome. If you are taking calcium, you may have to add a magnesium supplement to balance the calcium. Lack of magnesium and potassium can cause restless leg and cramping too.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Laura in Texas
on 10/19/17 3:13 pm

I cut way back on caffeine and and started taking magnesium to help my legs settle down at night. That worked for me and I can sleep again.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/17 10:12 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

They usually do not do labs at the first post op appt. I won't have labs done until my 3 month appt.

There is indeed evidence that low iron can cause symptoms of restless legs, but there is also a genetic component. Also, for some people, there are medications that can trigger symptoms as well.

I have full blown RLS having two copies of the genetic variant. If it turns out that you have RLS and not just a deficiency or a medication reaction, it is treatable, but be careful of some of the meds that are intended to treat it because in many people they cause worsening of symptoms. I use gabapentin and it works wonderfully well and is really inexpensive.

jenorama
on 10/20/17 12:05 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I will second, third and fourth the magnesium. About 3 years after surgery, I started having bad leg cramps and I complained about it to my chiropractor. She asked if my calcium supplement had magnesium. I was taking the Bariatric Advantage chewables at the time and they do not. She explained that calcium was the hardener and magnesium was the softener. I've since switched to a calcium citrate that includes magnesium and I supplement magnesium separately as well. It's been about a year now and while I do occasionally get leg cramps, the incidence and severity is much reduced. I also have a spray bottle of magnesium oil I'll put on if I feel a bad cramp coming on. That might be something to try before you go to bed. Epsom salt soaks can help, too.

Jen

rocky513
on 10/20/17 2:08 pm - WI

...and the magnesium will help with constipation! Always looking for that silver lining.... ;)

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views