Before your surgery did your emotions go from excitement to totally freaking out?

Paige7
on 10/20/17 12:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

It's me again. I'm scheduled for surgery on 11/7. I go from being really excited one day to totally freaking out and wanting to cancel my surgery on the other. Anyone else been there done that? How did you deal with it?

Thanks.

Paige

hannahg22
on 10/20/17 12:05 pm
VSG on 08/15/17

Everyday, every single day I had a mixed emotion. I was all hyped up and so ready for it until up to the week of surgery. I was fine the day and night before, I slept through the night, we got up early and set off for the hospital and I was okay. Up until they got me in the gown, and started poking me with needles is when I freaked out. I had a literal meltdown, I couldn't breathe, my blood pressure sky rocketed, and I was panicking. They brought my boyfriend into the preop to calm me down, and he basically just sat on the bed with me and asked every surgeon that came in and every nurse all the questions, and had them reassure me about what I was doing. I was terrified I would wake up in agony, in sharp shooting pains, or that I wouldn't wake up at all.

But, here I am 10 weeks out, and I am so grateful that I didn't back out.

Alexis_take2
on 10/20/17 2:23 pm
VSG on 10/31/17

Hi I'm new to this site and my surgery is scheduled for 10/31/17. I just want to let you know know blessed all of you are for have a support system. I don't have anyone, I am flying to Mexico by myself and going through this by myself. I go through periods of excitement binging on before and after VGS success story to complete terror wondering if I will wake up alive. It's an emotional roller coaster but I'm not backing down.

Kristi T.
on 10/21/17 10:14 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Welcome Alexis! If you are alone, then this is the best place to be! Come here and ask a lot of questions, read new and old posts and join in on the VSG menu thread. Keep us updated on your trip to Mexico and your progress so we can be supportive and help when necessary. I was alone too with very little support, but like you I didn't back down:-)

Alexis_take2
on 10/21/17 10:22 am
VSG on 10/31/17

Thank you so much! I will post my journey as I progress. I will try to post a before body shot I leave for surgery. I already started my pre-VGS diet, mostly doing keto then I will move to liquid 3 days before surgery.

Ladyblu
on 10/21/17 11:54 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

Welcome. And you are right that most of us are so very blessed. But, remember that even though this is a virtual support system, there are alot of good people here who are going to go through or have gone through what are you are about to. I, for one, am so grateful this site and these people exist. I am not one for in person support groups for various reasons, but I'm drawn here like ants to honey.

Can't wait to here how it goes for you. Keep in touch.

Diane

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

Alexis_take2
on 10/21/17 12:18 pm
VSG on 10/31/17

Thank you so much Diane. Hugs.

Gwen M.
on 10/20/17 12:35 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It sounds like you're well within the range of "normal."

I didn't experience this myself - once I decided I was having surgery it was full speed ahead, no second guessing, no reconsidering. But that's how I roll in general.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sexyjojo56
on 10/20/17 2:55 pm

Paige, yes, your emotions go all over. I was thinking about backing out wheeling into the surgery. lol..I started cracking jokes and I made it through, and right after I woke up, I wanted to scream I did, but in 2 hrs I was walking all over and went home the next morning 300 miles in the car, it was the best thing I ever did. I have gained weight back so I'm getting my sleeve revised soon I kept weight off 6 yrs and then I got ovarian cancer and after I lived through chemo, and survived cancer I ate out of boredom, I still no how to not stretch my sleeve out but old habits of emotional eating are back. I'm going to use this tool and get my butt back down to a size 10 its the best feeling too shop at old navy, and the regular stores. The skin was an issue for me as I am not married, so I wanted to get that off but never did, now It is to late to go through that I will be happy just the way I look skin and all. at 61 I cant be too perfect . I wish you the best recovery. and ride that rollercoaster in the front seat and take control.

jojo

Shannon S.
on 10/20/17 10:00 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Yes! I've been straddling the fence for about two years. I kept extending nutrition every month to buy some time. I had my final post op appt today and I burst into tears. Nurse and doc both gave me tissues. I am an absolute mess. I'm moving forward because I know that is what I have to do, but it does give me quite a bit of anxiety. I think it's pretty normal.

We are surgery twins by the way. Wishing you the best!

Most Active