Women Only - Menstrual Questions?

hannahg22
on 10/23/17 12:44 pm
VSG on 08/15/17

I have been on birth control since I was 15, I have really awful periods or I wasn't having them at all. For months. I have been on birth control regularly for the last 7 years. So pre op I was instructed to get off of my birth control and could resume taking it 2 weeks post op. So here I am, 10 weeks post op and on my pills like I am supposed to be and I've been bleeding for a week now when I shouldn't even be getting my period until next week. I was off my pills for roughly 5 weeks. This is driving me craaaazy because I just keep bleeding.

xoxsarahxo2
on 10/23/17 1:36 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

I'm sorry to hear that, I feel for you. My doctor told me after VSG our bodies can't absorb the pill like it used to be able to (I guess this has to do with our stomach being smaller?) and recommend that I either get an IUD or go on NuvaRing. I opted for the NuvaRing and haven't had any issues yet. I've also been on the pill for years, I think when you stop hormones like that and then start then again, it takes your body a while to catch up. I would say just be patient, you'll more than likely stop soon enough.

Gwen M.
on 10/23/17 1:39 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Rapid weight loss really screws with our systems as hormones are stored in fat so we experience hormone dumping. It should improve. In the meantime, talk to your surgeon.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

bridget1970
on 10/26/17 9:36 am, edited 10/26/17 2:37 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17

That's what I experienced. I started my period and then two weeks later I would have it again. I felt like I was having non-stop PMS symptoms which was causing my weight loss to stall. I finally called my nurse and she gave me the okay to start birth control pills again just so I could get my cycle regulated.

Shannon S.
on 10/23/17 3:20 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Just from experience it can take 3-6 months for the BC to regulate you. It's annoying but you'll have to give it more time.

momyshaver
on 11/11/17 5:24 pm
VSG on 06/28/17

It is impossible to predict how our hormones will react to the rapid hormone dumping due to the weight loss. My cycles have improved but they have changed and last month I had tons of spotting mid cycle, cramping and then pre cycle spotting leading up to heavy flow days and then it just stopped. No rhyme or reason. I am hoping for a better month this month, as it was bearable and improved those first few months. It is what it is. If you definitely don't want to be pregnant maybe double up (use a barrier method like a condom) since our hormones are crazy

hannahg22
on 11/13/17 6:58 am
VSG on 08/15/17

We use other contraceptive and I have never relied on oral contraceptive to prevent pregnancy. I was put on it for the purpose of keeping me regular. At 13 I was so irregular I didn't have a period for 4 months, so I have been on it ever since. I just HATE bleeding when I shouldn't be, or having to worry about if I'll bleed through something.

theAntiChick
on 11/13/17 8:36 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I have had IUD for 10+ years and have LOVED IT. I am one of the women whose period stops with Mirena. Over 10 years I had maybe a half dozen episodes of spotting, and that was it. My IUD was actually "out of date" by the time I had surgery, but since my husband had a vasectomy we weren't relying on it for birth control. We left it in because we didn't want to further disrupt hormones when we were finally getting my chronic migraines a bit better under control. Since surgery, I've been having irregular periods for the first time in decades, I'm attributing it to the hormone craziness combined with 100+ # weight loss. So I'm this week having the IUD taken out, and we'll see what happens. I've heard of all sorts of craziness happening with birth control and periods post-op. I hope it settles down for you!!

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 57 views