Fee

nicnac215
on 11/1/17 1:45 pm, edited 11/1/17 2:26 pm - San Diego , CA

M

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/1/17 1:49 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Another surgery won't do you any good if you're not using the tool you already have.

You need to track your calories. Even if you're eating "nutritional" foods, it's ABSOLUTELY possible that you're eating too many calories in a day, which is preventing you from losing weight. Start weighing and measuring your food and logging everything you eat-- including tastes, nibbles, and grazing-- so you know where you're at, and where to go.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

nicnac215
on 11/1/17 2:15 pm - San Diego , CA
on 11/1/17 2:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm not familiar with Chris and Heidi Powell, but a quick Google search tells me that they don't have experience working with the bariatric population. (There is also no scientific research I've found that suggests "carb cycling" to be effective.) I would be skeptical of following their advice over that given by a bariatric surgeon targeted to a WLS patient.

You are not losing weight because of your hormones; it's because you're taking in too many calories. I guarantee it. Most people on this site need to cut back to around 800 - 900 calories per day to lose, and maintain at 1100 - 1200. If you're at 1500-- and if you're not weighing and measuring your food it's entirely possible that it's a grossly inaccurate estimate-- then that's likely the reason why you're not gaining.

nicnac215
on 11/1/17 5:50 pm - San Diego , CA

I'll start making some changes and see what happens. Thanks.

CC C.
on 11/1/17 2:17 pm

I think I would work with someone like a therapist on the obsessive feelings when you track. Why work so hard without knowing if you're actually doing it right? It would be like a diabetic never checking their blood sugar while injecting random amounts of insulin. Unless you know all the data points you can't know what needs to be adjusted.

nicnac215
on 11/1/17 2:19 pm - San Diego , CA

Interesting perspective, never thought

of it like that.

hollykim
on 11/1/17 2:24 pm, edited 11/1/17 1:27 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

edited to add:On November 1, 2017 at 8:45 PM Pacific Time, nicnac215 wrote:

Had VSG in 2013, at about 220 pounds (5'2"). Lost about 60 ish pounds and felt great. Then after about a year, I started making bad food choices, eating inconsistently, and stopped working out for about a year, during that time I wasn't gaining weight, but then I started to gain...and gain...and gain. I quickly realized I need to get it together! I began working out and trying various new healthy lifestyle food choices. It's now been about a year and half, I workout 5 days a week, 3 of which is a a class that consists of cardio and weight training, and 2 days of Pilates. Guys, I really eat nutritional foods and bust my butt. I wear a heart rate monitor during my cardio/weight training class and it says I burn generally 400 calories. I don't count calories any more because I became obsessed. I loosely follow a paleo style now (I do include dairy). ive had my thyroid tested recently and my levels were slightly elevated (by only a couple numbers), I am on levothyraxin, 25 mg (spelling?). No changes, in fact, I'm slowly gaining. I don't know if venting or looking for advice. Should I have more tests done, i.e. Insulin resistance, blood sugar, hormones? Or should I consider another surgery? Thanks for the help.

those of us who have gained enough weight to qualify for wls are different than people who have not been morbidly obese. We can?t really do/the same things or consume the same amount of calories that they do ,and lose. 1000 calories a day is maintenance for me. 800-900 to lose. Any more and I gain.

what does a days menu look like for you? We might could trouble shoot for you as far as wls peeps go.

edited to add

exercise is great and very good for us but it doesn?t promote weight loss. The only thing that promotes weight loss is consuming less calories than your body needs to live ,so your body will have to burn stored fat for energy.

if you are eating 1500: calories a day you are likely eating way more than your body needs to live so no stored fat is being burned,hence no weight loss. You are essentially in maintenance and if you are gaining you are eating way way too many calories.

nicnac215
on 11/1/17 5:36 pm - San Diego , CA

Interesting. I didn't realize I could be eating too many calories. I think it's possible that I've got too caught up in all the different things I read. sounds like I need to re-evaluate things and shave some calories off each meal. Thanks.

on 11/1/17 5:44 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On November 2, 2017 at 12:36 AM Pacific Time, nicnac215 wrote:

Interesting. I didn't realize I could be eating too many calories. I think it's possible that I've got too caught up in all the different things I read. sounds like I need to re-evaluate things and shave some calories off each meal. Thanks.

If you post a sample of what your eating each day, we can help make suggestions.

It may be a good idea to check in with your surgeon as well if you haven't recently. That's probably a better source of applicable information than other random dieting sources.

Most Active