Hoping for VSG in Ontario

Harpediem
on 11/26/17 4:15 pm

hello my name is Pauline. I'm 66 doing what I should have done 20 years ago. I've been referred for surgery, just have to get through endoscopy/colonoscopy dec.7 then wait for the surgeon 's. I'm going though the Hotel Dieu in Kingston but they tell me I have to have my surgery in Toronto because of my age.

When I met the internist he said the surgeon might suggest VSG instead of RNY also because st my age there were fewer likely problems down the road. At first I was disappointed but after researching it I just feel so much more comfortable and less vulnerable long term with VSG . Feels a a good decision and I really relaxed after I decided.

some questions though:

it appears weight loss is slower on VSG than RNY. not a problem, just want to know what to expect.

it also appears people take a little longer to feel back to their old selves than on RNY.

How long is the honeymoon period? Shorter than RNY?

how do you get out of bed without using core muscles?

i love the folks in these forums. So warm and generous. AND COURAGEOUS in so many ways.

pauline

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/17 9:40 pm

I have not the experience to answer those questions but I was not told which was I would have until the day of Dec 7th because I have scars. So I went through the before and after pictures and looked at who had which wls. I found the results in the end where similar with both. They lost a ot of weight. This made me feel a bit better.

I will be following to see the responses of those with experience.

Penny

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/27/17 5:13 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had VSG at 61. I think I lost on essentially the same pace as RNY, which doesn't mean that it is typical but at least is possible (weight loss by month in my signature). I recovered fairly quickly, again at the same pace as most RNYers. I've felt great since I was a few weeks out (and in the beginning I had little pain, just needed to rest and recover from surgery). Getting out of bed was easy. I had abdominal surgery previously where I had an incision like a C-section - this was WAY easier than that. I don't know about the "honeymoon period", as I was at goal in about 9 months (and have been at goal for about a year now).

Best of luck making your decision. I am thrilled with mine, and wish I had done it years ago.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active