Things that (perhaps foolishly) surprised you with weight loss?

Gwen M.
on 11/29/17 11:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

A post on the main forums about shoe size got me thinking about this. I consider myself to have been pretty prepared going into weight loss surgery and subsequent weight loss, but then there were things that I was COMPLETELY unprepared for and, 20/20 hindsight, I think, "duh?" What sorts of things have inspired that with your own experience?

Here are mine:

1 - I wasn't expecting my feet to change. While they didn't lose length, they did lose width so it was a very happy day when I realized I needed to/could wear women's width shoes instead of men's width shoes! I was so thrilled when I bought my first pair of women's sneaker :)

2 - I wasn't expecting my face to change. Seriously.. I needed to buy new glasses after a number of adjustments to my original glasses and the inability to adjust them further. Totally not expecting that my face was going to get narrower for the purpose of glasses.

3 - Excess skin. This is the one I feel really foolish about. Like I knew excess skin was a thing that happened but I never really a) connected it with me or b) considered the fact that I might pursue reconstructive plastic surgery? Those things seemed like things for other people? Which again, in retrospect, I realize this was pretty naive of me to think!

4 - And, ultimately, I guess I hadn't thought about how much I would change. I'm definitely still me, but I'm a better, stronger, faster, more capable, and more grounded version of me. I think this me a lot better than I liked the previous me, and I liked the previous me a LOT.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

stacyrg
on 11/29/17 11:26 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I agree with all of these.

1. Shoe size. I was so used to buying the same size shoe that I was shocked when, after I lost about 60 lbs, I bought shoes without trying them on (Amazon) and walked out of them when I tried them on.
  2. That I can actually be satisfied with 4 oz of food. I remember pre-op looking at a single serving size can of tuna and laughing, thinking there was NO WAY it would ever satisfy me. Boy was I wrong.
  3. That my tastes would change. While I always liked a wide variety of foods, I find myself drawn to spices and foods like curries, etc. I guess when you're not eating as much, strong flavors are more important.
  4. That people would actually treat me differently. I guess I never really realized the extent that fat bias exists, but it does. Maybe it has something to do with living in Los Angeles, where it seems like most people are health and body conscious. But before surgery, in hindsight, I was treated like I was invisible. Now, people are friendly, they strike up conversations with me. They smile more.
  5. And like Gwen, I'm amazed at how strong I am, both physically and mentally. While I liked the old me, I love the person I've become.
NYMom222
on 11/29/17 5:05 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I never realized how much people would treat me different... First thing I noticed were people holding/opening doors for me. Old men, young men women... really?

Then Even acquaintances spent more time talking to me.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

stacyrg
on 11/29/17 5:09 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

What's crazy to me is that people, but mostly men, will hold doors open, etc. I was leaving starbucks this morning and the store I go to is long and narrow. I was walking out while a man was walking in. He stepped to the side so I could pass. It was odd because at my size now, I really didn't need the extra room, but I took it as a nice gesture. Before? He would have stood there and made me contort my body so we could both fit, or I would have waited for him to pass. So odd.

NYMom222
on 11/29/17 6:37 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes it is mostly men. I was surprised young men too though because I'm not that young.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Erin T.
on 11/30/17 3:09 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I totally agree with your comment about tastes too! I didn't think of that one before I responded, but I'm amazed at what I love now that I never did. I almost feel like the flavor of the food is enhanced, maybe due to eating a lot less processed garbage?

I recently tried butternut squash for the first time in years and OMG where has it been my whole life? Too bad that veggies play 2nd fiddle to protein, haha.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Bufflehead
on 11/29/17 11:44 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Here's my weight loss surprise from a less serious perspective:

I have a tailbone.

Seriously, I always knew that in theory, but I had never felt it because my rear end was too padded with fat! The first time I accidentally touched it, I legitimately thought I had found a cancerous tumor or some sort of bizarre anatomical freaky anomaly with a lumpen calcium deposit at the end of my spine. Which it kind of is, except it isn't a bizarre freaky anomaly. It's a real thing that I am supposed to have.

It took me several seconds to realize what it was, and I was very relieved but honestly looking back on it, it was kind of a wonderful discovery. Like the first time I crossed my legs without difficulty and realized that was the way it was supposed to be all along.

Ladyblu
on 11/29/17 11:45 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

I thought I was quite prepared as well. Even though it has only been two months since surgery, I've already had a couple of those "duh" moments. BTW... today is my two month surgiversary.

1 - I didn't expect my clothes to become so big so fast. I have been 6X (and the far end of 6X) for many years. My clothes are now fitting like tents and I fit in a 4X now. My nightgowns are getting VERY risque, I have to be super careful bending over so the girls don't fall out. My bras are simply stupid now. Luckily I have a sewing machine and can take in a stitch here and there to make my clothes last a bit longer.

2 - I was not prepared for the fact that I am not eating a boatload of vegs and salads. I have the occasional bite of vegs with meals, but I don't know that I will ever eat plain lettuce again. There are not enough nutrients in iceberg lettuce to make it worth the space that it takes up. The opposite side of that is the joy in figuring out that high protein means that I get to eat high quality lean cuts of meat and quality seafood. A lobster for me now is 4 meals. I get 3-4 meals out of a single one inch slice of beef filet. A pound of shrimp (26-30) is 7+ meals for me so @ $5.99/LB, that is $0.85 / meal. A single lamb chop is a meal. Serious "duh" moment.

3 - I was not prepared for how "easy" this has been for me. I have always struggled with the food "demons". At least for now, they are at bay. I am still watching for them to wake up, but so far, so good.

4 - I was also not prepared for how supportive my husband has been. Previously if I tried to modify what we ate, I got major pushback. Now, he is very agreeable and supportive. And the opposite side to that is I've always been envious and pissy that "they" got to eat whatever and however much "they" wanted to. Now I could care less. It seriously doesn't bother me. That has seriously surprised me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

CC C.
on 11/29/17 11:47 am

Happy surgiversary, Ladyblu!

Ladyblu
on 11/29/17 7:27 pm - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

Thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

Most Active