Looking for advise

queenbee254
on 12/16/17 3:47 pm
DS on 12/13/17

I had my surgery 12-13-17. I was scheduled to have DS. But when the Dr. got in there he wasn't able to do it and he did the VSG. I need suggestions, I wasn't prepared for this. any thing different that I need to know? I know PROTEIN, Protein, PROTEIN... anything else?

Thank you

califsleevin
on 12/16/17 4:43 pm - CA

At this point there really isn't anything different that you need to do - the dietary progression should be the same between the two procedures. They vary more doctor to doctor than they do VSG to DS (my wife has a DS while I have a VSG - same diets for both.) Supplement will be different and less with the VSG as you don't have the malabsorption component.

Beyond the PROTEIN, Protein, PROTEIN, it's SIP, SIP, SIP your water all the day long - dehydration will get you into the ER a lot faster than too little protein.

Good luck, and welcome to the club, unintended or not.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Lisa F.
on 12/23/17 9:20 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Just focus on the water and protein and getting rest for now. Water is soooo important (my surgeon told me it is more important than the protein in the first weeks after surgery).

I had a hard time with staying hydrated and ended up in the ER for an afternoon getting IVs to rehydrate. Looking back, I underestimated how important this was.

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Most Active