Sleeve is booked! What should I pack?

Queensley
on 12/16/17 4:20 pm - Canada

Things are getting real now! Surgery date is confirmed - I'm scheduled for January 15 in Toronto with Dr. Orzech. I have to start my pre-op diet on Christmas Day ð?'?, but it will be so worth it. I am instructed to have 3 of their shakes and up to 250 cals worth of low glycemic veggies per day for 3 weeks.

I am looking for advice on a few things. Since my time frame is very short I have been trying to put things together before the holidays that I will need for my surgery.

• Any advice on what I should make sure to bring with me? The clinic has already told me the standard things (compression socks for the flight, slippers, loose clothing, etc.) but does anyone have anything they can advise based on experience?
  • What food should I be stocking up on at home? I've got broth, sugar free jello and pudding, and I've heard I should get popsicles? Any other recommendations? Should I have any of these things with me in Toronto? What foods will I need immediately following surgery? My surgeon said I will be on clear liquids, but will I even be able to consume anything the few days following the operation?

I've done some research but always find it more helpful to hear from people who have real experiences going through this. Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Acedding27
on 12/16/17 4:30 pm
VSG on 12/14/17

I had surgery two days ago. The things I most needed right afterwards: slip on sneakers, chapstick (petroleum based especially), biotene mouth spray...Gas X did not and does not help my horrible gas pains at all. I still have them a couple days later, but everyone doesn't have that problem.

I would definitely get some sugar-free popsicles. Drinkable nonfat Greek yogurt with no sugar added was also allowed in my clear liquid list... I think because it has a good protein content. You can also get bone broth at some supermarkets... Bone broth has more protein but it doesn't taste as good to me as a regular chicken broth.

I would take some before pictures before you get on the plane, and most importantly of all, someone should go with you. I don't think I would have made it throughout the process without my DW. And my facility is only about an hour away.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! The weeks will fly by!

Acedding27
on 12/16/17 4:33 pm
VSG on 12/14/17

Oh, there was something I didn't address. You asked if you would even be able to consume anything for the few days after surgery. Now, every surgeon is different but mine had me drink a small medical grade protein supplement and vegetable broth with decaf tea the night of my surgery. So, about 10 hours afterwards I was drinking. Today is post op Day 2 and I've had about 40 oz of water, three bites of sugar free pudding ( I added nonfat milk powder for more protein) and about 10 oz of drinkable nonfat Greek yogurt (oikos triple 0)

The most important thing though, is getting all your fluids in. I'm sure you've heard this before, but the number one reason for readmission into the hospital is dehydration.

Acedding27
on 12/16/17 4:35 pm
VSG on 12/14/17
Shannon S.
on 12/16/17 4:55 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Chapstick, easy to get on shoes or slides, comfy clothes to get home in, and a hairbrush. I also brought my own toiletries because I'm picky about my soap and toothpaste, but they will provide that stuff.

Marodz63
on 12/16/17 9:59 pm - strongsville, OH
VSG on 12/11/17

Congratulations on your surgery! I had mine on 12/11, I stayed in the hospital 2 days. I packed pj's, toiletries i.e toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant and chapstick . and to be honest I slept most of the time. I took my tablet and never used it, never used my pj's either, stayed with hospital gown on, I was to weak and in pain that I didn't want to have much to do with anything. I did take a small pillow and used it when I coughed,I also took my heating pad and used that as well those 2 items where the best things for me. Good luck.

lbalaw2
on 12/17/17 7:48 am
VSG on 09/19/17

Congratulations and good luck! Take slide on slippers and loose PJ bottoms. They had me up and walking the hall as soon as I was awake. Those hospital gowns do not cover all. Pushing the IV pole and trying to hold your gown shut in the back was tricky and breezy. PJ bottoms eliminated that worry for me. Lip balm essential. Since you are traveling, bottled water, you will need to sip often.

age 61 Ht 5'5" VSG 9/19/17 HWE 330 SW 272 CW 238 GW 160

Most Active