One Week Post Op/ FREAKING OUT!

NewJourney17
on 12/18/17 7:10 pm
VSG on 12/12/17

Today is Week One And I thought I was doing great! My water intake is 64 oz A Day I Added protein Shakes to The Mix And I'm Finally Able To Tolorate My Broths. I'm Still In The liquids Phase until tomorrow. HOWEVER today I was walking around doing some light cleaning and I was feeling great. I went to take a shower and afterwards I ran to my bed because I was so lightheaded I have never felt that way before I was so scared my heart was racing I was sure I was going to faint luckily I was able to lay down for a couple of minutes for it to pass. Why is this happening??? I'm keeping myself extra hydrated I'm adding protein to my diet. I was so scared I have never felt this way in my life my hands started shaking for a bit. I was so lucky my BF was home to help me Thru this because I would of had a major anxiety if I was by myself. Any suggestions on what went wrong???? I'm calling my dr tomorrow for an appointment. I just need to know if someone had a similar expirience? Is this normal????

Gwen M.
on 12/18/17 7:15 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you taking blood pressure medication?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NewJourney17
on 12/18/17 8:14 pm
VSG on 12/12/17

No I have never had blood pressure issues.

Mirandia
on 12/18/17 8:51 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

It still could have been your blood pressure dropping. Ho****er will lower it and if by chance you bent over, say to wash your feet or something ... it could make you dizzy. I've always had naturally low blood pressure, it had only been a normal level in the last couple of years ... as my weight was at its highest. Now that I'm losing weight its going back down again.

I am NOT saying this is what happened to you. This is only one possibility and you should talk to your doctor about it. But it is also not something you should overly stress about either. The stress is probably worse for your health than the dizzy spell.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Mirandia
on 12/18/17 8:52 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

It censors the word hot and the word water. Sigh.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

NewJourney17
on 12/18/17 9:16 pm
VSG on 12/12/17

THank you! This makes a lot of sense I think I over did it today and when I was showering I probably ended up bending over and that drained me even more. Thank you so much I will talk to my dr tomorrow I'm going to start monitoring my b/p because I've never had issues but my b/p was always on the low side so I imagine now with my WLS it could be lower! Thank you!

Gwen M.
on 12/19/17 5:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I agree with Mirandia about it sounding like blood pressure. Definitely worth talking to your surgeon about, through!

I asked about the medication because many people are on BP meds before surgery, keep taking them after surgery, and find their BP gets really, really low.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/19/17 7:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had this happen to me! I nearly passed out when I stood up too quickly, or bent down to pick something up from the floor.

Do you have a blood pressure cuff? If not, it may be worth picking one up. I found that checking my BP immediately after an episode and seeing the cause was really helpful.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

theAntiChick
on 12/19/17 9:22 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

A couple of thoughts...

64oz should be a bare minimum for water. I was shooting for 128oz+ post-op. While I didn't manage it every day, I was getting 90oz+ more days than not after about the first week. (That first week was a real struggle to get enough down.) While you're probaby not dehydrated if you're getting in 64 every day plus shakes, there's still a gap between "not dehydrated" and "fully hydrated". You really want to shoot for "fully hydrated" especially while healing.

Along with that, I've heard a number of people report that their bloodwork for the first year showed low sodium, and some with low potassium as well. You need those in order to be properly hydrated. Unless you have medical issues that require restricting sodium, consider getting a little extra. Gatorade will provide sodium and potassium, you can trade that out for some of your water. I also take SaltStick tablets along with extra water when I get muscle cramps or other signs I'm not hydrated properly.

And, as others have said, if you are on blood pressure meds, you need to closely monitor your BP as the weight falls off, and stay in close contact with your doc. Some surgeons will change your BP meds for you, but most want you to work with the doc that prescribed them. I had to stop one of my BP meds within a week of surgery, and the other one was gone by a month out. Don't change BP meds without talking to your doc, but if you're running very low that is a good culprit to look at.

Don't let yourself get anxious about it. More water (and more sodium/potassium) and adjusting BP meds (if that's a factor) resolves this for most of us. And it's pretty common from what I've seen on the boards.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Marodz63
on 12/19/17 3:34 pm - strongsville, OH
VSG on 12/11/17

Hello, This too happened to me, I was feeling good and also got up did some things around the house, I bent down to get something and when I got up OMG!!! I almost blacked out. I know what happened, I did too much too soon, we are to get up and walk 10 15 minutes and rest as much as possible. Our bodies went through major surgery, we do have to slow down and heal. Take it slow and calm down. Give your body the TLC it needs now. You are staying hydrated and eating what you are suppose to. It's easy to freak out and panic. I have been there. When you shower don't take a hot shower that will lower your blood pressure and make you feel faint and shaky, after your shower drink water and rest, start with just 10 minutes of standing and walking and work your way up. The house work can wait Make yourself top Priority!!!!! Good luck. feel free to message me, I too am a week post op. Take care.

Most Active