QUestions.

NewJourney17
on 12/20/17 10:44 am
VSG on 12/12/17

Good Morning! I have a couple questions today I Am 9 Days Post Op and Happy To Announce I Have Officially Lost 24 Pounds!! I'm still a little bit in Shock Of How Much Weight I've Lost In only 9 Days!!! Yesterday I moved on to my "Soft Foods Phase" which I'm extra happy about. But I do have a couple of questions.

1. Can I use straws?! I was told by my provider that I would never never be able to use them but honestly I started using one yesterday when I drink water with a cup I drink a lot of air and im constantly burping and feel bloated so me being the Dare devil I AM went and got a straw and now I feel much better drinking my waters. No more burping no more air. BUT I don't want to do anything to hurt myself so have any of you used straws?! Is it ok to do so?!

2. Em I ever going to be able to drink more than a zip of water?! This zipping is making me insane I'm ah big drinker of water and just taking small sips is not satisfying at all I need to know that this will change along the way because as of right now honestly sometimes I find myself not wanting to drink water just kuz the sips of water is driving me insane!!!!!!

3. I was told by my provider that I could eat and drink at the same times, but every research I've done everyone says No. I guess I need advise from ppl that have done this before?! Is it ok or is it better not to?!

4. Sugar free drinks and crystal light, my provider said absolutely Not Ever! My only drink should ever be water. No protein drinks as well. Is this ok or can I discard this?! I need protein drinks to maintain my protein intake I can't eat it all it's craxy to me to think I can't have protein drinks!!! An crystal light and sugar free drinks have been my go to when I'm craving something sweet to help me satisfy that craving I get tired of just drinking water I'm not really happy about this and honestly if it's ok to do so I will discard my providers advise on it!

Please any advise would be greatly appreciated!

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/17 11:19 am, edited 12/20/17 3:27 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I think in general it is super important to follow all of your surgeons rules for the first 6 weeks until you are healed. After that:

1. Straws are fine
  2. I can gulp water the same as I could pre-op and that started for me at about 2 months out
  3. Eating and drinking at the same time will be really painful in the first 6-12 months. After that, it is probably a good rule to follow so that you feel full longer and eat less over the course of the day.
  4. Sugar-free drinks are not great for you, but I and almost everyone on here drinks them every day. Research says they can make you more likely to crave sweet food more.
  5. People have very different opinions on protein shakes here. I think it's important to phase them out as soon as you can get adequate protein through food. Other people swear that drinking 1-3 protein shakes a day helps their progress and helps with maintenance. I drink a couple per week as creamer in my coffee because they are tasty, not because they are a good food choice for me. I aim for around 60g protein per day, which is less than many people here.
Red2play
on 12/20/17 11:53 am
VSG on 12/14/17

Can I use straws? Em I ever going to be able to drink more than a zip of water?!!- Better not to. Chewing (40 chomps) for food and sipping water instead of chugging will have bad results IMHO.

I was told by my provider that I could eat and drink at the same times: The reason they tell you that is so that you won't feel bad after a meal. If your stomach can only hold 8 to 12oz, then if you drink oz of water, that only leaves you 4 to 8 oz for food. Plus it stretches your pouch.

Sugar free drinks and crystal light, my provider said absolutely Not Ever! My only drink should ever be water: You should discuss this further with your dietician but I was told that I need both water and protein shakes or genepro for my protein. Each dietician has their own regiment. Please be sure to ask about Genepro for the protein (if your still on your liquid diet).

Gwen M.
on 12/20/17 2:23 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

A) We don't have a pouch, we have a sleeve.

B) On top of discomfort, adding liquid to the stomach will increase the rate that bolus turns to chyme and then exits the stomach through the pyloric valve. This means that drinking while eating will decrease satiety.

C) Genepro is a poor source of protein.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

stacyrg
on 12/20/17 4:32 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

As Gwen said, if you had VSG, you have a sleeve not a pouch. I'm 3+ years out from surgery and no longer take tiny sips of water. In fact, I was able to increase my drinking amount and speed once my swelling went down, the less swelling I had, the greater my capacity. As far as straws, every surgeon is different. My surgeon's plan says no straws, but only because it can induce air which may result in discomfort. The air WILL NOT stretch your sleeve. In fact, I've been in my surgeon's office drinking an iced tea from Starbucks out of a cup with a straw and he didn't even raise an eyebrow, let alone correct my behavior. I find a straw makes it easier for me to get my fluid in.

I agree with Gwen's assessment of water with a meal. It will make it easier to eat more food. It WILL NOT stretch your sleeve. Even now, at 3.5 years post surgery, I wait 30 minutes after eating before I drink.

I agree with Gwen that Genepro is not a good protein choice. In fact, it's banned by my WL surgeon. He advocates for whey protein isolate. I've never heard of a doctor banning protein drinks, but s/he may have her or his reasons. As far as crystal light or other non-water sugar free drinks, I drink them every single day: Crystal light, iced tea, etc. All good.

And just as an aside, even 3.5 years post surgery, I don't have a 12 oz capacity. Never will.

Gwen M.
on 12/20/17 5:12 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Ditto on the 12 ounce capacity. There's no way I could eat 12 ounces of dense protein even at 3.75 years post-op!

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

lisag58
on 12/20/17 12:06 pm
VSG on 12/15/16

I was very worried about not being to drink a lot of water at once, too, but I'm a year out and I can definitely drink to my heart's content. I don't gulp a ton because it causes pain, but I do drink lots of water every time I remember!

Gwen M.
on 12/20/17 2:22 pm, edited 12/20/17 6:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Straws are fine - for some people they help to decrease air ingested, for others they do the opposite. So try a straw and see if it works for you.

Yes, you will be able to do more than sip at some point in the future.

Do not eat and drink at the same time. Wait 30 minutes after eating to drink.

Most people use sugar free drinks and crystal light. Many use protein shakes. I do both so.. shrug.

CC C.
on 12/20/17 2:22 pm

Meh, I use straws with no issues. I seem to take in less air with them too.

You will be able to do more than sip! Give it time.

I drink right up until I eat, then hold off for 30 minutes after. Supposedly, liquids wash out the food and let you eat more, which is counterproductive. I read on a forum once that a husband attending his wife's wls support group told everyone they'd found this miracle way for her to eat more by drinking while eating! Totally defeats the purpose.

I would not have been able to survive early on without protein shakes. I hate them now, but early on I'm not sure how you'd gte all your protein in. And I drink a load of Crystal Light without trouble. In fact, I struggled with plain water for a long time. It just didn't sit as well as flavored water.

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/17 3:56 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I use a straw on a regular basis. Like every night from the water bottle on my bedside table. Give it a try. The worst that will happen is it won't work for you. I attended a support group where EVERYONE was drinking from straws and mocking their doctor's instructions. When it came time for the group photo they made a big deal of hiding all the drinks with straws sticking out of them.

Once my stomach was healed up, I was able to glug water down fairly quickly. This was a huge concern of mine, as it is easy to become dehydrated working outside in the sun as I do most of the summer. I can knock back 8 oz at a shot. If I drink too much too fast, it gets to be very uncomfortable, but only for a short time.

Go ahead and eat and drink at the same time. If you are like me, you will find out why that is a Bad Idea. I can drink right up until I begin to eat. But I am religious about not drinking for 30 minutes after eating, no matter how thirsty I might be. Washing all that food down into your intestines doesn't always just make you hungry faster. Sometimes it makes you feel really REALLY awful. Different people respond differently.

I do not personally care for sugar free sweetened drinks - for the most part. I drink a lot of coffee with a bit of half and half. After the morning jolt, it is all decaf, hot in winter, iced in summer. Heck, it got above 40° today, so I drank some iced decaf. In the summer I will put some stevia in my iced tea, but that is my southern roots showing. Iced tea is not properly consumed unless it is sweet.

I drank a fair amount of protein shakes before, and right after surgery. That tapered off as time went by. I have a bunch of powdered protein sitting in the kitchen now. My protein comes from "real" food. Shakes are legitimate, but don't keep you full like beef jerky or chicken or turkey or eggs or cheese blah blah blah.

Beyond coffee, I drink water and a little bit of bourbon. And some wine. I keep it all within my calorie restrictions. I am down 208 lbs in 14 months, and well under my goal weight.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views