Starting around 250, need some advice!

reree6898
on 12/28/17 8:00 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I am 5'5" as well and had the sleeve done. My surgeons goal for me was 170 and I blew past that. I still would like to lose a few more pounds but all that is left to lose at this point is the extra skin and that can only be done thru surgery. My starting weight at surgery was 319 and my heaviest weight was 376. If you stay diligent and follow what you are supose to do then I believe you can reach your goal.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

KDBaker
on 12/29/17 4:44 am - Exeter, NH
VSG on 10/16/17

My highest weight was 246. I got sleeved on October 16th, weighed 232. Now I'm sitting around 195. I'd be satisfied getting to about 175 and maintaining that but If I have my way I'll get to about 160 and stay there. That's the weight I remember being able to maintain and feeling healthiest.

conazza
on 12/29/17 6:38 am
RNY on 09/23/16

You can totally do that. I started at exactly 250 and I was told I'd probably get to 190. I maintain from 125-128 now. I'm on the high end now thanks to the holidays. I had RNY, I'm 56 and 5'3". Just stick with all the advice you get here and follow it like it's your job. I didn't really exercise I just kept low carb and low calories with high protein and fluids. I still go back to that when my weight is on the high end. I don't get here now as often as I'd love me but coming here daily and reading what others are doing really was key to my success. Stay motivated and you'll do great.

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

xoxsarahxo2
on 12/29/17 6:44 am
VSG on 10/19/17

That's really impressive!! Thank you for the advice!

RobbieMcKenney
on 12/29/17 8:58 am

I started at 273, was sleeved in June 2017, and am now at 188 and still losing, although more slowly. My doctor's goal for me is 160, but I want 140. I am 5'3". It is getting harder to lose, but I know I will get at least to 150. My weight loss is in my control, and it stops when I feel I am where I need to be. The doctors handed me the tool and it is up to me to decide how to use it, so don't worry about what your doctors say. As long as you keep your nutrition up and your labs are good, just keep going for it.

sampeck
on 12/29/17 2:07 pm
VSG on 05/22/17

I had VSG 5/22/17 and was 239 day of surgery (high weight of 260). I am 5'4". I am a little more than 7 months out and 163. They encouraged me to set a goal of 180 but I set a goal of 160 because that's my lowest adult weight and I liked the idea of losing exactly 100 pounds. I am hoping to get down to 145 which would be a normal BMI but if i settle around 150 I would be really happy. This past month my loss has started slowing down but I am still moving in the right direction. I walk everyday and go to the gym 2 days a week. Good luck!!

Donna L.
on 12/30/17 9:10 am, edited 12/30/17 1:10 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It's very possible. Many people have already posted strategies for losing, and they are correct. I am not remotely close to goal because my starting weight was...way higher, to say the least. At any rate, my goal is to hit 25-27% body fat. I'm hoping to hit that the next year and a half. We'll seeee.

Biologically, the effects from all weight surgery last from 1-2 years. People with an RNY have a longer grace period, and individuals with a SADI or a DS have the longest-lasting benefits due to the significant bypasses they have. Having said that, I have seen many people with "just" a sleeve be more successful than people with even a DS (still the high BMI gold standard for sheer results) have done.

What it comes down to is ha*****ange. Ha*****ange will make the most of this period of biological benefit...and yes, the sleeve has metabolic benefits on its own, actually, independent of the DS and RNY.

At any rate, solidify your habits well before surgery and you will be successful. And by habits it's not just what you eat - it's what you do if there's a mistake, or divergence, or life. It's being able to know yourself and how you react to things, and having a plan for situations you know will be hard.

Some general ha*****anges that are helpful:

• Re-sensitize yourself to sweet tastes. Post-op many of us are highly sensitive which is good (easier to avoid) and also bad (sometimes it makes them more addictive).
  • Start using smaller dishes now. I was intellectually prepared for the amounts after surgery, but the size of the food was like...what. They don't have to be surgery-size, but start using a salad place or smaller bowls for now, for instance.
  • Measure everything even if you don't need to, even if it's pre-packaged, to get into the habit of weighing and measuring.
  • Start "surgifying" your house. That is, make it friendly for the post-op experience. Put things you use and will eat often at eye level. If you live with others, arrange it so their food is not at eye-level and you'd have to go looking for it. If you have trouble avoiding other people's food, this can be really helpful and doesn't penalize your cohabitants.
  • Keep a daily food-mind journal. Yeah, we track what we eat, but also track your mood/stress/general feelings every day, particularly about when you choose to eat.
  • Be prepared for hormone dumping and mood swings post op, as these can prompt us to eat more (and they aren't your fault)
  • Eat primarily what you can eat after surgery now. This is hard, but you will have less stress overall if you can acclimate now. I did not eat fruit, beans, starches, potatoes, or grains before surgery...only protein and fat primarily. I did this gradually over the course of eight weeks until I was just lean protein and fat before the liquid diet...this helped a ton because I had already spent several weeks not eating that stuff.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

A.better.me
on 1/1/18 5:27 pm
VSG on 07/05/17

I'm just a few days from being at 6 months out. I'm 6 pounds from my goal of 160 already. I had no idea that it would be so soon. I'm not 100% strict 100% of the time but I do try to stay away from bad carbs and sugar for the most part.

Month 1 - 34.8

month 2 - 13.2

month 3 - 10.8

month 4 - 11

month 5 - 8.4

month 6 - 7 (still have 4 more days to count)

I have reset my goal to 150. Who knows...I may reset it again when I hit that ?

Stick to your eating plan. Get your water and protein goals in each day. I was walking but got off track but plan to get back to it this coming week

Good luck!!

Height: 5'5"

SW: 251 (07/05/17)

CW: 161 (03/22/18)

GW: 160

ItsTimeNow99
on 1/3/18 3:30 am

I agree with other posters....you really can lose as much as you choose.

I started at 265. My surgery was 10/12/2016, and I am now at 157. (I'm 5'7" and 64 years old, btw.) I still log everything I eat and drink. My food focus is always protein first and I choose to limit carbs more than some. But I feel great, my labs are on target, life is good.

You can do this!!!!

Pat

HW -265; SW - 251; CW - 154

Surgery Date- 10/12/2016!!

Most Active