My regain has started

feels_so_good
on 12/28/17 9:28 am
VSG on 05/20/14

VSG has been wonderful to me, given me my life back. The weight loss was a fantastic journey and the 2 years after were enjoyable including a promotion, becoming more open and friendly, and the ability to exercise again.

About a year ago life added some stress. I've discovered that after 42 years of thinking I flourished under stress and lived anxiety free, that I live with a high level of anxiety. When life reintroduced multiple stressors I returned to old habits, mostly drinking and eating.

For me this has been a mental health journey. My view is that I (we) know what it takes to eat well and exercise, we make the choice not too. I believe understanding the what and why behind those choices will make it possible to find long term success. If not by fixing, at least through mindfulness.

This site was amazingly helpful to me pre and post op. It reduced my anxiety by giving me insight into what I can expect, removed shame by finding others struggling with the same challenges, and provided support that I didn't have elsewhere.

My weight settled in around 280 - yes that's a weight at which some are getting a sleeve - it was okay with me and where my body stalled given how I worked around my tool (sleeve) and didn't put the effort into exercise. Over the last year I climbed to 300 in November and hit a tipping point. I could feel the extra weight, became self conscious, felt judged by others, felt failure, and reacted by upping my game. By upping my game I mean more drinking and more cheating my sleeve which has me up to 320 today.

I'm back here to reboot myself. Remember how far I've come. Remember how these posts from others were a benefit. Hopefully, I'll be able to repay some favors by being a voice of experience and encouragement.

Happy Holidays to all

Believe in yourself, you can reach your dreams!

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

azmichy
on 12/28/17 12:31 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

Thank you so much for sharing. I am a band to sleeve revision patient and I feel what you are going to having been down and back up. For me the biggest issue is the self-confidence, shame, and feeling of failure the first time. I wish you luck on this and hope you are able to get the weight back off and get back to where you are comfortable.

Lap Band 09/17/2003 HW-276 SW-225 LW-167

Revision to VSG 10/24/17 HW-244 SW-217.8 CW-179.6

Pre-op:0~M1:17~M2: 6.6~M3: 7.8~M4: 6.7

JourneyBound
on 12/28/17 1:57 pm
VSG on 10/09/17

Wishing you strength, perseverance, & peace of mind. You did it once before, you can do it again! You've taken the 1st step by acknowledging what's going on. I believe in you, you can do this! You are so worth it

VSG 10/9/17

HW: 294.2 SW: 286.2 CW:174.6

STGW: 170 LTGW:140

Pre-op:-8 M1:-25.4 M2:-16.8 M3:-15.6 M4:-13.8 M5:-5.4 M6:-8.6 M7:-9.2 M8:-5 M9:-5.6 M10:-2.4

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/17 6:56 am, edited 12/28/17 11:13 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

If you go back to your plan, you can do it. I hope you do well, and I encourage you to visit the subforum for men. Several of us participate in a weekly weigh in. Having that accountability looming ahead helps a bit.

I have no idea what your ultimate goal is or how you are built, but I am right around where you were at your lowest, and very happy there. I started at 481 lbs. Currently I am 274 lbs. In the picture I am right around 280. It was taken approximately two months ago. For reference I am 6'1", so not much taller than you are.

Daelcare
on 12/29/17 5:04 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I did the same thing at about the same time you started (minus the drinking), but went back to old habits and just kept gaining (roughly two year mark...I was up 11 pounds from my one year post op visit with the doc). I have faithfully logged every bite I have eaten in the past three years...including all the bad stuff! I finally had to really look at the things that I was eating and start saying "no" again to foolish things. At my three year post op I was back down 6 of those pounds (a weight I can live with). All that to say that you can do this...you need to focus and walk away! You've done it before and you know what it takes. You also know that it is so worth it! Best of luck!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

jacreasy
on 1/15/18 1:08 pm
VSG on 04/23/12

Hello,

Ill be 6 yrs PO in April 2018 Somehow I lost a year bc I was thinking it was 5 lol. Im struggling with regain of 35-40 lbs (it was 20 lbs) I was going to the gym 6 days a week for 3.5 years had surgery on my knee in 2015 couldn't go for 5 months and lost all motivation. I know what I need to do but cant seem to do it. I fail pretty much everyday. I could give advice all day but doing it myself seems so hard right now. My clothes are tight and I dont like the feeling. I need to go back to basics and probably go to support group as well. Do you track macros? Right now I try to stay at 1100 cal, under 50 fat, 80+ protein, 2300 sod, less that 160 carbs which probably seems like a lot. I do eat a lot of fruit and veggies but added starchy bad carbs as well. What are sample meals you cook or eat and do you do snacks? I just need to find something that works or Im going to weigh 346 lbs again. I will NOT let that happen so Ive got to fix that now. WE CAN DO IT!!! Don't let the old you take over...

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

feels_so_good
on 1/15/18 6:30 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

We got this!

My most common meals (when on track) are taco meat with a little cheese and sour cream, hamburger meat with some feta, meatballs with 1/4 cup sauce and feta, post roast with 1/4 cup gravy, 2 jumbo eggs with feta, string cheese, and greek yogurt with a tablespoon of granola, and a scoop of protein powder w/water. I usually come in around 1,000 calories when doing this. If I did this consistently, I'd be down another 100 lbs quick and easy.

When I'm off track, like a football weekend, I'll make a pizza and snack all day, ave a work event with food breaks every 2 hours, or stop for some fast food and order twice what I can eat - then eat the left overs because who weights 300lbs and wastes food :)

Tracking calories helps me stay focused, if I'm focused enough to track calories. I was down 10 lbs to start the year (first week is the easiest****il this weekend (and chose to not step on the scale after a binge day Sunday.

My next step, that I know makes such a difference, is exercise. It's a wonderful life when I exercise and a spiral downward when I don't. The sleeve let me get by w/o the gym and through naturally adding movement to my day. So may excuses to avoid the gym, looking for ways to move that up the list of my priorities.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views