What about Sprouted Grain Breads?

diane S.
on 12/30/17 12:51 pm

You will do far better if you eat no bread at all during weight loss phase. Carbs are carbs and 20 was my daily limit. Best to stay away from all this. Even in maintenance 8 years out things like these protein breads are not good and cause me to gain. Beware! Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Acedding27
on 12/30/17 1:04 pm, edited 12/30/17 5:05 am
VSG on 12/14/17

I had surgery the same day; how neat! :-)

That being said, I would not introduce bread at this point. Healthy grains? Every now and again. I make protein oatmeal with the bariatric protein one cinnamon swirl and it's the bomb. At this point, having put ALL this work into surgery, do you want to be eating something that will:

1. Take up room you need for nutritious foods and protein?
  2. Slow your weight loss with unnecessary carbs?
  3. Sabotage your healthy eating habits that you should be developing for life?

What do you mean by "trouble?" I'm assuming you mean head hunger and that you WANT the bread. Stop eating stuff that you feel needs the bread or eat it in a different way. Nothing NEEDS bread. Hummus? Soft cooker carrots. PB? Put a dollop in some Greek yogurt. Turkey and cheese? Roll it up and dip it in some mustard. Tuna? Eat it with a few homemade parmesan crisps.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good sandwich. But, I know that bread is NOT good for me or my small stomach right now.

Now, on my nutritionist plan, it said that I could have 1 to 2 servings of whole wheat toast a week. However, she also said that it was not necessary and to avoid it as much as possible during the first 6-9 months. Maybe talk to your surgical team and dietician about some healthier alternatives.

I've lost 40+ pounds since my pre-op appointment and that's because I've avoided carbs and eaten high protein foods. You CAN DO THIS!!!

LynnAlex
on 12/30/17 2:38 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I wouldn't touch bread, white flour, sugar, et****il you are in maintenance.

I recently had to visit a couple of doctors. They were very impressed with my weight loss. In their opinion, many people do not loose enough weight or keep it off to validate WLS.

I visted family during the holidays. I got the same response, that I was thin. They were surprised. They knew I had surgery a couple of years ago, but EVERYONE they knew who had the surgery gained the weight back.

It is only because of this website that I have kept my weight off. I still eat protein first, veggies, then other stuff. My other stuff is a small portion. For example I may buy a small bag of chips, open them in my car, eat 3 and throw the rest away. This has happened 2 times in 2 and 1/2 years. It is not a frequent occurance.

I now eat most of my food at home. I prefer food that I cook and can monitor the ingredients. I cook 2 or 3 times a week and freeze and eat leftovers or frozen food.

You have to change your habits.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Gwen M.
on 12/30/17 3:10 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

What things are you having trouble eating without bread?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/30/17 7:44 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

At 2 weeks out, your stomach is NOT healed enough to tolerate something like bread. It's absolutely possible that you could irritate your staple line-- or worse, blow a leak and potentially DIE.

Not worth it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/31/17 7:27 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

For me I treat carbs like ca****hink about how much I'm willing to spend & the consequences behind it. 19 carbs for 1 slice of bread seems like way too much to have at 1 sitting at your stage of weight loss. Maybe when you're more closer to or at goal that you can play around with your carb to protein etc ratio.

For me whenever I increased my carbs, my hunger pangs increased also. My body doesn't seem to care if the increase came from complex or simple carbs. More carbs=more hunger, at least for me anyway.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Donna L.
on 12/31/17 8:27 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Bread is also problematic early on because it swells and can harm the sleeve. Certainly, it won't be comfortable at all even if it does not. It also has basically no nutritional value compared to protein for us. It takes up valuable real estate that the protein we need to prevent muscle loss and post-op healing both significantly require.

As for the TJ loaf, wheat berry breads typically let the wheat sprout before making it into a flour rather than grind it right away - it's still problematic if you need to avoid gluten. It's a big "nope" for Celiac, anyway. If you absolutely *have* to eat bread, you can get light bread which has like 4-5g a slice and just as much gluten in the grocery store. Sadly, many of the low-carb breads that are gluten free tend to be more caloric due to being made from nut flour a lot of the time. They do make a gluten free version, but gluten-free options are often both more caloric and more carby.

I have been low carb since the 90s. You can eat literally everything without bread. Lettuce makes a great wrap for many things, for instance, and you can always eat stuff cut up or in a bowl, or even rolled up without it. I routinely eat hamburgers, sandwiches of all sorts, etc, without bread. Don't get me wrong - I get fussy about it sometimes myself, because I like bread, however it's very possible to eat just about everything without it. Want a sandwich? wrap it in lettuce or roll up the lunch meat into handy finger food around a pickle, etc. Want a hamburger? Wrap it in lettuce or a LC tortilla if you must, but makes a good "steak" by its lonesome and is quite edible with a fork.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Valerie G.
on 1/2/18 9:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Definitely not! Trader Joe's and Whole foods and other similar stores are great at marketing things as being healthy, organic, all natural, you name it. It makes hipsters feel good in their heart that they are doing their body some good. When it comes down to ingredients though, it still has gluten, flour, sugar of some sort (some genuine organic real cane sugar-still bad). You're looking at a single slice of bread that has 19g of carbs. That's 38 carbs for one sandwich, which would blow your budget for every other meal of the day.

Now, you're probably trying to figure out how to eat that delicate deli meat which is an easy way to start eating meat again. Trust me, you're not going to be able to eat much more than a slice itself for a while. You may have to work your capacity up to a piece of cheese to go with the meat. Many of us eat sandwiches with lettuce instead of bread to help hold it. Even Hardees and Jimmy John's caught on and offer this as a serving option. Here is another option that you can make at home that gives you something to hold on to, but does not contain any flours at all.

Oopsie Bread

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AngloAm
on 1/8/18 11:54 am

It is a bit sad to do without bread, but if you try it you'll find it's possible. Bread is a great seductor for me - I have to be careful with it as anything that's "low carb" can too easily get me used to, then wanting, bread again which makes regular bread seem more and more okay "just this once." That's crazy thinking in my case. Let's face it -- bread tastes good but mostly it's used as a food delivery system. Forks don't affect your body half as much unless you're stabbed by one, I suppose.

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

Most Active