Opinions needed!

hollykim
on 12/31/17 7:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 30, 2017 at 11:13 PM Pacific Time, Twinmom527 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I haven't planned on eating it. But I we curious about it. The filling is really healthy so I open it and eat the filling. So I was more so concerned if I accidentally got a piece.

I also was told once I'm on regular diet that nothing is off limits, just portion control. So with that obviously comes picking and choosing what you really want and only having a bite or two.

most of us who became morbidly obese have a problem with portion control. We can't do and having a very small stomach won't do it for you. We can eat unlimited amounts of spinach pie with phyllo crusts on small amounts ALL DAY long and we can gain from that. We can likely eat lots of white carb flour items, portion controlled in each setting, but end up eating them all day.

being successful is not about choosing what you really want and eating small amounts. Success is about eating protein forward, very very limited carbs and getting plenty of no calorie fluids.

Twinmom527
on 12/31/17 7:29 am

While this may be the case for many, food addiction was not my issue. I have always followed a healthy diet, and that's why drs. Thought this surgery would work for me to reset my body, and hormones. I have pcos, metabolism problems, so that's my issue. I've always are healthy and before my kids, I was a gym rat. I understand your helpful words, but for me it's not a slippery slope.

Shannon S.
on 12/30/17 3:24 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I think it would be okay. My plan allows for 30 grams of carbs per day. Not sure what limitations your doc gave you, but I imagine if you had a small piece just to relieve that hankering, and still made sure you got your protein in for the day you'd be just fine. Today I had a piece of fried chicken. I took the most of the fried skin off, but still may have not been the best choice. I'm also under 500 cals for the day, and getting ready to drink my 40 grams of protein via isopure drink. I'm good.

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/17 12:15 am, edited 12/30/17 4:16 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

Phyllo is a pastry type carb. You shouldn't entertain eating this while you're trying to lose. Especially so early in the process. Also be careful to chew the spinach carefully. Is there a protein in the pie? That should be your food focus. Whoever told you to eat anything is setting you up for failure. Are you part of a bariatric follow up program? A regular dietician may not have a clue how to tell you to eat to lose weight. Fluids and protein should be your life this early on.

Twinmom527
on 12/31/17 8:20 am

Yes I am apart of a bariatric follow up program from a hospital/weightloss program.I am seeing Drs. And dietician every 2 weeks. I'm not sure why they told me "nothing is off limits" but I'm sure it has to do with the program teaching us what we should eat and limit the bad stuff. I didn't do this not to loose weight. I was more so asking just about Phyllo haha. The filling is all protein, which is why I just ate the filling. Ive been having intestinal issues with protein drinks so I'm trying to get protein in

Gwen M.
on 12/31/17 2:11 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm confused - how is the filling all protein if it's spinach? Spinach is not a protein source.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Twinmom527
on 12/31/17 8:59 pm

I said it's like spinach pie. It's made with eggs, milk, ricotta and feta

Gwen M.
on 12/31/17 9:30 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Those things contain fats and carbs as well.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 12/31/17 8:42 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The problem is that the metabolic benefits from surgery will be reversed by increasing carbohydrate, especially if you have PCOS, sadly. Carbohydrates in general are very bad for people with PCOS because they always raise serum insulin which is what causes the disorder. Even with surgery they still do this. And, actually many people with PCOS actually stick to ketogenic diets for this reason, because even with surgery we can see symptoms return. Ketosis has the effect of maintaining insulin resistance which reduces symptoms and can halt the cyst production....and lasts long after surgery. The benefits from surgery metabolically go away after a year or so, but ketogenic diets last as long as you follow them.

Any white flour spikes insulin drastically... forget weight loss and food stages, if you want your PCOS to remain in remission, I'd skip it even in small amounts. This is because in order to manage your PCOS you must keep your serum level as low as possible, and diet will always accomplish this more than surgery. This causes your testosterone to lower and your other hormones to rebalance...as well as lowering inflammation.

So, unfortunately, the bad news is that for PCOS alone, forget weight loss, it's a better idea to not eat any refined carbohydrates, probably even rarely. Anecdotal clinical observation: the people I've seen in integrated health with PCOS who stick to strict ketogenic diets and eliminate all of that do the best and have the highest fertility rates.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Twinmom527
on 12/31/17 11:58 am

I agree with these statements 100%. I've had a low carb diet for years. Was just curious if the phyllo was a grain or bread. I didn't necessarily have the intention to eat it. As mentioned before, protein first. But thank you! Maybe this info for pcos can help someone. I had trouble for years getting pregnant so I know all about it?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views