Are net carbs just marketing hype?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/2/18 2:09 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I think it's a gimmick & people could use it as an excuse to eat more. I have at times used the net carb thing but I know that everything else really has to be low/no carb to stay within my limits.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Donna L.
on 1/2/18 7:09 pm, edited 1/2/18 11:09 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Ah - but what is healthy, eh? Healthy is an interesting concept that varies widely depending on to whom you speak.

In the late 90s it made more sense to do net carbs because there were none of these crazy products. Look at the original 76 Atkins book if you are curious - not many net carbs in 1-2 cups of spinach or mushrooms. There were no 30g of fiber bars until later, among other frankenfoods. Then, there were a ton of controversies over low carb products selling false hope - Dreamfields Pasta and Julian Bakery were two big offenders.

I basically treat low carb processed food as I do any junk food. I try not to eat it, because even low carb or keto healthy food with empty calories is still empty calories regardless. I also have Celiac, and it's really hard to find both low carb and gluten free stuff that is edible and low calorie.

I view food as fuel to survive. I eat meat and fat primarily because that is the best and most efficient fuel for my body. When it came to low carb convenience foods, I used them to replace healthy food. I told myself "it's healthy - it's low carb!" the reality is that they are highly processed foods that are non-nutritive by and large.

I had to have a long talk with myself that went something like: "If you really want to eat something for a treat, why not go to the best joint you can find once a year and have that? Heck, three times a year...have the best dessert at a Michelin star restaurant rather than some crap Atkins candy bar. I can guarantee which will taste better." This became the philosophy I adopted.

At the end of the day all companies care about is our dosh. They could give a crap about our health. The products they sell are designed to be hyperpalatable, overconsumed, and thus purchased repeatedly. Low carb products are no different.

Have I always been successful in avoiding it? Absolutely not. I used to consume waaaay too much of it. The past year I've been far better. I suck at moderation, though. I cannot be moderate, unless it's like a Michelin star joint, because I am still on my post-grad student budget, yo, and that's only going to happen maybe 1x a year.

The counterpoint: we have to work with our habits. If it helps people wean off full-sugar crap, I don't know that it's bad in the short term. The goal should be to transition to whole foods eventually, though. The more morbidly obese you are, the far more vital this is to do, because those of us who were super obese have conditioned ourselves to overeat junk.

That was...far more blathering than I intended. >.>

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/18 7:09 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

I agree with the group. Carbs are carbs. Net carbs are a thing made up by food manufacturers and is 100% hooey. Count your total carbs and forget the net. Take what your nutritionist says with a big grain of salt. Most of them aren't educated in bariatrics.

Most Active