TSH Levels Really High, Anyone Have Experience with this?

22bee22
on 1/3/18 8:19 pm

Last month I started the insurance required 6 month process of getting a sleeve done. I had my lab work done and I received a call back today with the results. She told me that my TSH (a thyroid hormone from my understanding) levels are really high, and that I also have a vitamin D deficiency. I'm only 25 and I knew I have not felt well for maybe 2 years now, but I always blamed my weight for everything!! Now all my miserable symptoms are starting to make sense after reading more and more about this. I guess i'm just looking for some real life support from others that have experience in this and a few Q's. I am starting medication tomorrow but the doctor didn't request to see me right away, she wants to see me in 6 weeks. Is this odd?? I've read there are different stages to this and with my TSH levels already being so high i'm worried it's already done damage to me. Does anyone know if my weight caused this to begin with? I have gained 65 lbs in 2 years and have not changed a single thing from my day to day eating. Will this effect me being qualified for surgery??? Even if I get the surgery will it still be very difficult for me to lose weight?? I am hoping this medications i'm starting will make it easier to lose weight, but I just don't have much hope right now.

Thank you for taking your time reading this

peachpie
on 1/4/18 1:32 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Hello,

i have been through the ringer with thyroid issues. When your TSH levels are high, it means your thyroid is under active, hypothyroid. It is very common, and has nothing to do with your weight gain. Under active thyroid slows bodily functions. So you may feel tired, sluggish, there is a whole host of symptoms. It can cause weight gain, but usually lifestyle is a bigger factor there. It does make it a bit harder to lose weight. Putting you on meds sounds right, and checking back in 6 weeks also is right, as the meds take time to work, so time is needed before labs are drawn again. Doc should probably looks at related levels, like T3 and T4 as TSH alone tells a lot but not a full picture. Endocrinologist tend to be more thorough than PCP's in my experience. You will be on the Medicine for life. A doc will not operate until your TSH level is normal.

I had the reverse probably initially, extreme low TSH level, which made me hyperthyroid. I was dx'ed with Graves Disease, and evetually had a total thyroidectomy, which leads to being hypothyroid. It's easier to control hypo, than it is to control hyper. A pill a day and occasional monitoring of my lab and I'm all good.

I don't feel being in thyroid meds post up made it any more difficult to lose weight.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Shannon S.
on 1/4/18 3:09 am, edited 1/3/18 7:10 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

In means you have a hypothyroid. When your thyroid is not functioning correctly, your pituitary gland shoots out more TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) in an attempt to make the thyroid work. I also have hypothyroidism. You can get it obese or thin. It slows your metabolism, causes you to gain weight, makes it extremely difficult to lose weight, causes fatigue, body aches, and a slew of other symptoms. You will probably be prescribed synthetic thyroid hormones. This will cause your TSH to normalize. 6 weeks is the normal time frame to be rechecked. You will have to get labs done at that time and your medicine may have to be adjusted several times to get you to appropriate levels.

As far as surgery, surgeons will usually require that your levels are within normal range before your procedure. I'm losing just fine.

Ladyblu
on 1/4/18 4:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

I also have thyroid issues, vit D deficiency, I'm anemic and have a host of other health issues. If I had to pick a problem, I would choose thyroid issues, hands down. Once identified, it is usually fixed with a simple pill a day. The medication is inexpensive and small.

It is not odd that the Dr doesn't want to see you for a few weeks as the medication takes some time to kick in.

It is probably the opposite of what you fear regarding the weight gain. Weight gain does not cause thyroid issues, it is the other way around. Regulating your thyroid should make it easier to lose weight, not the opposite.

Your surgeon will have to answer the question as to whether this will affect you qualifying for surgery.

I wish you all the best.

lbalaw2
on 1/4/18 4:21 pm
VSG on 09/19/17

I am a thyroid cancer survivor. A total thyroidectomy was done and then radiation therapy. I have been on synthetic thyroid hormone for 10 years. You will not have done damage with a high TSH at your age but it can make you feel lousy. An endocrinologist is the best person to give you advise about thyroid hormone. Many people can develop autoimmune diseases of the thyroid that are not weight related. Just a word of caution with thyroid hormone. It can be difficult to absorb. Do not take the medicine within 4 hours of taking vitamins with calcium or iron. After my surgery, I started taking bariatric vitamins 4 x daily as prescribed by my Dr. I took my thyroid hormone on an empty stomach as usual but then mistakenly took my vitamins an hour later. Did this for 2 months after surgery, then had my TSH checked and it was 18, way high, when it is usually 0.1 as my endocrinologist would prefer. I did not remember that vitamins interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone as I did not take them prior to surgery. It does take weeks for the TSH to change and you will need frequent lab wor****il they find your dose. Once that is accomplished you will feel better and can proceed with your surgery. It is also very common for people with large body mass to have Vitamin D deficency. The excess fat somehow prevents the absorption of the vitamin D. Easily corrected with supplements and as you lose weight that may improve as mine did. Good Luck!

Most Active