Getting back on track

Jeelyfish702
on 1/9/18 4:33 pm
VSG on 05/19/16

Hi everyone, its been a LONG time since I've posted. I had surgery on 5/19/2016 and I was doing really until about April of last year. A lot has gone on since then: left my husband, lost my mom, moved 3 times.. and I just seem to have lost my stride. I've managed to only gain about 10 lbs back (somehow!!), but that puts me at 40 lbs away from my goal. More importantly I feel like garbage. I'm eating sugar, drinking soda, slacking on water and protein, and I feel like I'm so limited on food options because almost everything is making me sick! I can't drink protein whey protein because the smell is enough to induce vomiting, so I need to try out some rice and soy proteins. Recommendations are more than welcome and appreciated! I need some encouragement here, and some advice from some fellow VSG fam.

Thanks all!

Gwen M.
on 1/9/18 6:13 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome back to the forums - you've been through a lot! Are things like chicken and steak making you sick? If they are, I highly recommend that you see your surgeon, because that shouldn't be happening.

If you aren't right now, your first step should be to start measuring (weighing) and tracking (with something like MyFitnessPal) everything you put into you mouth. Liquids, solids, everything. That will give you information on what you're consuming and what you need to change. From there, work on getting back to your basics. Here are mine, but yours might be slightly different:

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (protein shake for breakfast is my exception since I've never liked putting solid food in my stomach first thing in the morning)
a. Don't drink with meals or for 30 minutes after eating
6. Weigh portions and track/log what you consume
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
a. Try to eat at a table
b. Eat with utensils
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh yourself daily
a. But focus on the trend of your weight, not the day to day fluctuations
10. Be kind to yourself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/9/18 7:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I have trouble with milky-flavored whey protein as well. I found that when I used a bottle with a lid and a straw, and I didn't have to smell it, I had much better luck. Clear protein drinks were easier to handle as well; check out Isopure and Syntrax Nectar brands.

You can do it!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Bufflehead
on 1/10/18 8:12 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

At this point you shouldn't need to drink protein or drink any calories period. Eat lean, dense protein for your meals and snacks, and supplement with green veggies and occasional fruit and dairy. I have been where you are and trust me, you can get back on track! 10 lbs is easily conquered but start now, don't put it off. If healthy food is making you sick, try eating smaller portions. If it still makes you sick, check in with your surgical team or your PCP -- that should not be happening. Good luck!

feels_so_good
on 1/11/18 9:45 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

Welcome back. Thanks for sharing. I'm going through some related struggles with family, my stride, and regain and poor choices. Like always, we have the knowledge to make the choices. What's leading you to make the wrong ones? In addition to the support here, I encourage everyone to ask how a professional counselor can help with the mental health journey of weight gain, and loss, and gain, and loss, and gain, and loss.... IMHO it's still and undervalued part of our journey. Best of luck. For me seeing others journey, reflecting on my journey, and the overall encouragement of this site is helping me to refocus. I wish, and expect the best for you, let me know if I can help.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Most Active