3.5 years post VSG! (with pics!)

Amy M.
on 1/10/18 4:59 pm, edited 1/10/18 5:05 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Hi everyone!

It has been a long time since I posted on here so get ready for a LONG post! So here's an update on my new life since surgery. I had my surgery in June 2014. I started at 322 and my surgeon's goal for me was 180. My own goal for myself was 170. I met that goal around 2 years post op. Like everyone else I lost the bulk of my weight really fast and then it was a crawl the last 8 months or so until finally I hit the magic number. Over the course of 2017 I gained back about 15 lbs so I'm typically around 185. I'm striving this year to get back down to 170.

My experiences since goal:

1. It's very easy to fall back into old habits. When I allowed myself to indulge in some old carby favorites once in a while the frequency in which I ate them got closer and closer together. The 15 lbs literally snuck up on me without me even noticing. My weight always distributes evenly throughout my body so I gained the weight without even going up a pants size.
  2. I stopped weighing myself. Big mistake! Weighing in keeps you in check so if you do find yourself slipping all it takes is a couple pound increase on the scale to give yourself a reality check. I'm weighing in every morning now.
  3. I can eat more. The restriction is still there and I feel it most when I eat dense protein (obviously). My stomach has reached the point where I can get in my protein and most of my sides and feel full enough not to want seconds. I dont really weigh my portions anymore but if I had to quantify it for you I would say I feel full after 4-5 chicken wings whereas 2 years ago I could only eat 2. Stick with the protein and you'll never feel your restriction go away. Carbs go down like nothing. I could probably eat an entire family size bag of potato chips in 1 sitting. And thats a scary thing.
  4. I get hungry faster. 2 years ago I had to remind myself to eat. 1 meal went a long way. Now, however, after a good sized meal I find that I'm hungry again in 2 hours. Hence points 1 and 3.
  5. I can shop anywhere! I can finally go into any clothing store and find something that fits perfectly. I'm a size 12 jeans and medium tops. I love that I can go into any store and not have to seek out a plus size section. It's truly an incredible feeling. I even went down 1.5 shoe sizes.
  6. I have more energy and all my weight pain is gone. I had back problems and knee problems galore. I ran out of breath constantly and even standing for too long made me break out in a sweat. All of that burden has completely vanished! I feel like I am 10 years younger (and losing all that weight has made me look at least 5 years younger). I turned 30 in September. Do I look 30??
  7. After I met goal it nearly destroyed my relationship. When I had my surgery I was in a relationship and we got engaged about 7 months post op. He was the most supportive and helpful man I ever could have asked for. Once I met goal and started getting more attention from other men it turned me into this other person that wanted to explore my options. I had a weight problem my entire life and wasn't used to getting hit on constantly. There were other factors too I mean no relationship is perfect. I broke off our engagement, met a hot guy a couple weeks later and we dated for about 4 months. When we broke it off (mutual decision as we both just got sick of each other) it made me realize what i had and what i lost. My ex had a new girlfriend when i told him i made a mistake and wanted him back. He left her a couple weeks later and we've been back together for over a year now. If you're with someone right now that you love and who truly loves you...hold on to them. Don't let your new confidence and wandering eyes ruin your relationship. Take it from me..there really isnt much out there.
  8. I have some extra skin. My belly, arms, and thighs. It's not bad. I wear shapewear for my stomach and you can't even tell. My extra skin has tightened up a little over the past year. Still...i might look into getting a tummy tuck and getting my thighs taken care of too. Right now it's not super noticeable but it's enough to make me self conscious at the beach.

The most important thing is that I'm happy! I'm healthy! And I finally feel beautiful...both inside and out. This surgery literally saved my life and through all the struggle and stress id do it again in a heartbeat!!

Pics. Starter pic was june 2014. After pics are from october 2017 to present.

Gwen M.
on 1/10/18 5:31 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome back - congrats on your successes so far and good luck going forward!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Shannon S.
on 1/10/18 6:16 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Congrats! Love to read stories like yours. You look awesome!

FuturePinUp
on 1/10/18 6:31 pm

Welcome back! You look awesome! I'm going on 3 years this June and I have to say I totally TOTALLY get where you're coming from regarding #7. I was in a very similar head space and finally reeled it in and re-prioritized. I have often heard that its common for couples to split after one undergoes a dramatic weight loss change (confidence, lifestyle habits, etc.). I am glad you were able to re-prioritize as well. :)

Wishing you the best of luck!!!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Bakermama
on 1/11/18 1:12 pm

Great post, Amy! Thanks! I hear you about the " carby things". I am only 7 wks out, but already understand this may be a problem for me later.

VSG on 11/27/17

HW 255 Pre- op 230 SW 216 CW 198

Agran
on 1/11/18 5:00 pm

Thank you for the great post and the pics. You look great and I am so pleased to hear you are happy. Thanks for sharing.

feels_so_good
on 1/11/18 9:38 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

Thank you for sharing your story and congrats on the progress. Like many of us here, your pics not only show the physical progress but light a way into the mental health journey. Your smile glows, your 'this is me' shows a new confidence. Welcome back!

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Manda32
on 1/12/18 12:39 am

You look amazing!! Thank you for your very real and honest post.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Amy M.
on 1/12/18 6:59 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Thanks everyone!!

Kathy S.
on 1/12/18 9:01 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Amy,

Welcome back. You look GREAT! Get back to the basics that got you to your first goal and it will happen

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active