Barley soup?

Twinmom527
on 1/14/18 2:40 pm

I'm 6 weeks out, when is it okay to eat barley soup.

Gwen M.
on 1/14/18 3:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

When you're at your goal and maintaining. Until then, there's no reason to add in extra carbs.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 1/14/18 4:43 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 14, 2018 at 10:40 PM Pacific Time, Twinmom527 wrote:

I'm 6 weeks out, when is it okay to eat barley soup.

imho, when you want your weight loss to stop.

Barley is a carb and carbs can cause cravings and weight loss to stop and possibly gain to happen.

califsleevin
on 1/14/18 6:09 pm, edited 1/14/18 10:09 am - CA

When you feel like it, assuming that it fits into your surgeon's guidelines.

Some are into the low carb thing so they don't want foods like that, but that's just them; it is a viable approach, as are many others. So, son't worry about it if you aren't into low carbing as that is far from essential for WLS success, your WLS is not particularly picky about what kind of diet that you use, as people have been successful with their WLS long before low carb diets came into fashion.

There is a notion that carbohydrates cause weightloss to stop or weightgain. This is just fad diet mythology; as with most mythology, there is a kernal of truth to it in that low carb diets keep your glycogen (basically stored carbohydrates for short term energy needs,) levels low, and the water to keep it in solution. This means that your body will grab onto any additional carbohydrates that you may ingest in order to get your glycogen levels back up to normal. This doesn't happen if you maintain a relatively normal diet with a typical balance, even when in a calroic deficit for weight loss. It's the low carb diet that makes ones' water weight more unstable than it otherwise would be, and this is what people "see" when they think that their loss has "stopped".

This is also why most need to allow for a few pounds of "bounce back" regain once they get to goal - to accommodate this water weight that they lost during their diet that they will put back on once they resume a normally healthy diet; the net end-to-end weight loss is the same but the low carb dieters just traveled a bit farther to get there.

You do need to watch for foods that can cause undue cravings - which can be some junky fats as well as some junky carbohydrates (though of course, this is not a popular notion amongst the low carb fatithful,) but far from "all" of whatever macro is deemed evil. It is an individual thing, though it is unlikely that barley or broccoli will induce cravings for Twinkies - it's mostly the junky processed stuff that will do it, but reactions can be very individual.

Don't fear fundamentally healthy foods just because some don't like them; work to your individual needs and not theirs.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Twinmom527
on 1/14/18 7:27 pm

Thank You! I really appreciate this. My question was because my father had made beef barley soup, and I wanted a little today. I was more so concerned about if anyone has had problems digestion wise. Per my Dr. Plan, there isn't much other than heavy starches and bread they suggest we hold off till 6 mo. I figured barley one day won't make or break me.... I really appreciate your insight. I've cut most carbs out (bread, rice, pasta, wheat, etc.) Out and I don't plan on it for some time.

califsleevin
on 1/14/18 9:32 pm - CA

Digestion and food tolerances are such an individual thing that it's hard to make a blanket statement. There no doubt will be some who have had some problem with them, and then many who have not. Some people report having problems with lettuce, for instance, for many months, and others have no problem at all. Or doc's general policy is to test new foods one at a time for tolerance - if it goes well, great, and if not, try again in a week or two.

The foods that you mention are ones that most will de-emphasize anyway, no matter what kind of diet they are on, simply due to their relatively low nutritional density, though I did add bread back in at around four months with a specific intent to selectively increase the complex carbohydrates for energy management purposes, My loss rate actually increased modestly over trend, (showing how messy the real world can be relative to the mythological one!)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Kathy S.
on 1/15/18 11:29 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Your best bet is to always follow what your surgeon laid down for you eating wise and when trying new foods tiny tiny bites. I LOVED salmon and couldn't not eat it for 9 months. I kept trying and kept regretting it

Congratulations on your surgery

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Twinmom527
on 1/15/18 12:32 pm

Thank You! I'm so excited to see where my journey takes me!

Most Active