KETO after VSG?

Amber Waddell
on 2/4/18 10:02 am

I don't think there is any right or wrong. Honestly I just played around with my diet over the years and listened to my body. I paid attention to how I felt etc. I don't count macros or anything for that matter. I realized I was obsessing over it which wasn't healthy for me to do. I keep my portions under control- eat till I am satisfied. I then keep it mostly keto- high fat, moderate protein, low carb.

About 90% of my diet is keto. the 10% I don't stress much. If I go out to eat I try and make the healthiest choice I can. During holidays I don't stress if I eat a piece of pie. This approached has worked for me for 5+ years and I feel so much better and have also lost and maintained.

Donna L.
on 2/4/18 10:56 am, edited 2/4/18 2:56 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have been on a low carb or ketogenic diet since 2009 or so, and lost over 464 pounds...I get weighed Tuesday again so we'll see how it goes. It definitely works well with a sleeve. I've also been active in the low carb community for about a decade, too. I've seen non-WLS peeps do just as well - we tend to keep the weight off better, though.

What I do i**** my protein first (70-90g) and get most everything else from fat. I typically don't add fat, but instead eat fatty meat. My macros are probably close to 55% protein, 45% or less fat, and I keep total carbs to 15g or less/day. I eat 700 calories or less, and just stop counting macros once I hit protein and focus on calories. I do not eat any grains, much (if any fruit), and I also don't have many vegetables. I've also never had regain at all that wasn't temporary (that regretful rare piece of cake, for instance).

I mean, if you eat protein forward, i.e. meat first, you basically are low carb/keto anyway, as we can't really fit a lot in after the protein. If you want resources let me know...I have several reading lists and such.

Ketogenic and low carb diets work really well with a sleeve though because we have the pyloric valve, and protein causes the valve to stay closed the longest. We're primed to digest and process carbohydrate first, because carbohydrate can raise blood sugar which can cause damage if it's elevated for too long.

Feel free to PM me if you want any resources.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active