colonoscopy

Laurie P.
on 2/8/18 7:16 pm - Oregon House, CA
VSG on 03/13/08 with

I haven't posted on here in a really long time. I was sleeved by Dr. Alvarez, in Mexico, March 13, 2008. In Sept 2015 I had a routine colonoscopy. At that time they used a very low volume prep called Prepopik. It was easy 5oz of prep, followed by 5 cups of water in 5 hrs....then it was repeated with 3 cups of water at 4:30 the morning of the procedure. No problems, and the procedure showed no problems. 48 hrs later I started having major stomach issues. An Endoscopy a month later showed inflammation and erosions. Most likely the Prepopik was too strong for my stomach. I'm still under the care of my GI. I continue to have issues especially when I get stressed. Fast forward to early January of this year. At my yearly physical, my nurse practitioner decided to do a fecal occult test. Well.....it came back positive for blood. So my GI is going to have to do another a colonoscopy to figure out what is going on. I have a family history of colon cancer, so I know it is the right decision. He no longer uses the Prepopik, which of course for me, is a good thing. He is going to use a prep called Suprep, which he says is the lowest volume one available. Problem is the prep is 16 oz....followed by 32 oz of water/clear fluids in an hour. I'm like SERIOUSLY....my stomach will only hold 6-8 oz. Both Dr. Alvarez and my bariatric doctor have said I will just have to take it slowly and concentrate on getting the prep in. Bariatric doc said 8 oz....wait 15-20 mins and take the rest. This will give my stomach time to empty....then I have to get all tha****er/clear fluid in....won't be happening in an hour :-)). My question is if any of you have had a colonoscopy, how did you get it all down with throwing up? I'm really stressing about it....in addition to stressing about the blood in my stool. Procedure isn't going to be for another 4 weeks. It has been a very stressful few weeks, and I have 4 weeks to go. Thanks for any info. On the upside....my weight was sticking at about 190 lbs. After the last colonoscopy I dropped 50 lbs in about 2 1/2 months. I was thrilled....GI doc not so much"! I maintain now between 135-140....trying to get down to 132 which would be a normal weight for my height. Between the stress and the next procedure, maybe I'll get there :-)))

pre-op 265  lbs.    day of surgery 252  lbs.     curent 187 lbs.

hollykim
on 2/8/18 8:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 9, 2018 at 3:16 AM Pacific Time, Laurie P. wrote:

I haven't posted on here in a really long time. I was sleeved by Dr. Alvarez, in Mexico, March 13, 2008. In Sept 2015 I had a routine colonoscopy. At that time they used a very low volume prep called Prepopik. It was easy 5oz of prep, followed by 5 cups of water in 5 hrs....then it was repeated with 3 cups of water at 4:30 the morning of the procedure. No problems, and the procedure showed no problems. 48 hrs later I started having major stomach issues. An Endoscopy a month later showed inflammation and erosions. Most likely the Prepopik was too strong for my stomach. I'm still under the care of my GI. I continue to have issues especially when I get stressed. Fast forward to early January of this year. At my yearly physical, my nurse practitioner decided to do a fecal occult test. Well.....it came back positive for blood. So my GI is going to have to do another a colonoscopy to figure out what is going on. I have a family history of colon cancer, so I know it is the right decision. He no longer uses the Prepopik, which of course for me, is a good thing. He is going to use a prep called Suprep, which he says is the lowest volume one available. Problem is the prep is 16 oz....followed by 32 oz of water/clear fluids in an hour. I'm like SERIOUSLY....my stomach will only hold 6-8 oz. Both Dr. Alvarez and my bariatric doctor have said I will just have to take it slowly and concentrate on getting the prep in. Bariatric doc said 8 oz....wait 15-20 mins and take the rest. This will give my stomach time to empty....then I have to get all tha****er/clear fluid in....won't be happening in an hour :-)). My question is if any of you have had a colonoscopy, how did you get it all down with throwing up? I'm really stressing about it....in addition to stressing about the blood in my stool. Procedure isn't going to be for another 4 weeks. It has been a very stressful few weeks, and I have 4 weeks to go. Thanks for any info. On the upside....my weight was sticking at about 190 lbs. After the last colonoscopy I dropped 50 lbs in about 2 1/2 months. I was thrilled....GI doc not so much"! I maintain now between 135-140....trying to get down to 132 which would be a normal weight for my height. Between the stress and the next procedure, maybe I'll get there :-)))

I had a colonoscopy on December 2017 using this prep.

Liwuids basically run right through so , I had no problem with the volume of the prep.

You just need to concentrate on getting it down and don't try to drag it out. It is not wonderful tasting but not horrible either.

G3andBsMOM
on 2/9/18 11:57 am

I also had a colonoscopy in December 2017. I added chicken bouillon to mine and drank it warm. They also ran thru me I would drink and like 5 minutes later I would go I could feel it running thru me.

Nknerr
on 2/9/18 7:24 am
VBG on 12/07/17

I hate to suggest this, as it brings up other issues, but couldn't you do a week long cleanse, full liquids then only clear liquids and finish with magnesium citrate? They did that for me when I was going through cancer treatments and I had to have a colonoscopy every three months. It will clear you out without losing the flora and fauna of the intestinal tract.

By the way...good luck!

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/10/18 4:41 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had the Suprep for a colonoscopy 9 months after my VSG. I sucked on an altoid mint after each gulp of the stuff to keep from vomiting.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

jujuh
on 2/10/18 8:02 am - Northern Cincinnati Suburb, OH
VSG on 06/03/16

I did that too with a Werthers hard candy.

happyteacher
on 2/10/18 8:49 am, edited 2/10/18 12:49 am

I have had multiple colonoscopies. The prep schedule that I was given started 24 hours in advance. It involved a lot of miralax and ducolax washed down with Powerade Zero. I have a redundant intestine issue, so I have to start 48 hours in advance. It is highly effective and you for sure can space out getting all of the prep down. Here is a link to my Dr's site. It shows the different preps that they use. https://www.gidrs.com/procedures--preps.html

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Jester
on 2/11/18 10:12 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I just had my first colonoscopy on Friday. I did a miralax and dulcolax prep. I took 2 dulcolax at noon, then at 4pm I drank a bottle of miralax in 64 oz of Powerade Zero over the course of about 1-1.5 hours. Then I took 2 more dulcolax at 8pm. It was no issue getting the 64oz of Powerade/Miralax down as the fluids run right through me, although I had an RNY. I drank about 8oz every 10-15 min.

Unfortunately, that did not get things moving. I ended up drink another 3/4 of a bottle of Miralax (this time with about 64oz of unsweetened tea). That did it.

Bottom line was that for me, if I just kept slowly taking the fluids, getting them down was not a problem. I realize this is in the VSG forum, so YMMV, but I thought I'd share my experience.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/12/18 6:13 am

I personally have to do a 2 day prep to get clean. I was doing clear liquids and miralax on day 1 they "their" prep on day 2 starting in the morning and not at noon. That way I had time to clean my bowels. One day prep did not work for me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views