Almost there but I've gained!

Darla S.
on 3/2/18 12:35 pm - Maple Grove, MN

Hi all - I hope you don't mind a response from an 'old timer' that had RnY vs. the VSG, but there are certain aspects of ANY weight loss surgery that everyone going into it should keep in mind.

Your surgery is only a TOOL. You have to educate yourself on how to best use your tool to your desired outcome - massive and LASTING weight loss. In the beginning, it's actually pretty darn easy. The tool is doing 80% of the work for you. But after that 'honeymoon' period is behind you, the tool is probably only doing 20% of the work. THE REST IS UP TO YOU.

So you're binge-ing now? Having that Last Supper thing? Well, that's pretty normal, as long as it doesn't sabotage any pre-surgery weight loss requirement your bariatrician might have for you. But post-op, you really do need to respect your tool and do the things you learn pre-op and in post-op support group meetings. (If you're smart, you'll attend them regularly. Awesome learning and perspective checks! I learned a lot, and SHARED a lot.)

I could go on and on about the things I learned over the course of my WLS journey. I don't get in here very often anymore - I used to be on here on the Minnesota forum ALL. THE. TIME!

I'm almost 11 years out. I'm 5'11". Highest wt 377. Lowest wt 209. Current wt @ 225. Do I freak out that I haven't hit wonderland? No. I'm STILL down over 155#!!! Do I freak out that I'm up from my lowest? No. Any bariatric educator worth their pay will tell you a bit of regain is totally normal, and shouldn't cause anyone to give up on their tool.

Am I happy I had my WLS? DAMN RIGHT I AM!!! I used to say I'd do it annually if that's what it took to maintain my loss, and I would! But I will always respect my tool, therefore it won't be necessary!

My best to all of you!

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

Most Active