Aching knees

RobbieMcKenney
on 2/28/18 8:12 am

I had hoped that losing over 100 pounds would help my knees, but if anything they are worse. One knee was replaced in 2011, and now that one hurts again. They really only hurt while bending them, such as on stairs and getting up from a sitting position.

Anyone else have this problem?

Ladyblu
on 2/28/18 8:30 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

I have the same issue and have discovered that it is due to a couple of factors.

First, when I was at my heaviest, I took maybe 20 steps a day. To the wheelchair, from the chair to the toilet and then back to bed at the end of the day. I spend most of my day in the wheelchair.

Now the wheelchair is reserved for long out trips. I hardly ever use it in the house, so now I tool around on a wheeled stool and I also walk some. So for me, the increased usage is aggravating my knees.

Second, the damage that I did to my knees when I was 585 pounds is done. I can no longer straighten my left leg. I will end up sometime down the road with a knee replacement.

I would suggest that you see your orthopedist. Have them take a look and let you know if your cartilage is still intact. If it is not, then you may be bone on bone which Hurts and unfortunately, the more you move, the more it will hurt, so it will have to be seen to.

On the bright side, recovery will be much easier from any procedure or surgery due to the fact that you will be putting less weight on the repaired appendage.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

jenorama
on 2/28/18 8:46 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

My back, shoulder and knee pain have improved a ton since losing weight. It's not unusual for some joint pains to increase during the extreme weight loss phase, however. You're losing weight so quickly that your body can't keep up. Your gait is changing, your center of gravity is different--you basically have completely different body dynamics. Also, it's likely that you weren't very active when you were heavy, but now you're more active and you're putting unaccustomed stress on your joints. Maybe you're taking the stairs more when you used to take the elevator, for example.

It might be worth it to get a physical therapy referral to work on strengthening your joints and learn some exercises that can help you get used to your new physical reality. If the joint pain continues or get worse, do definitely seek treatment! Joint pain is the worst.

Jen

Nknerr
on 2/28/18 9:28 am
VBG on 12/07/17

When I hit around 60 lbs off, I overdid it being on my feet one weekend and ended up not being able to put my weight on my feet. Hubby took me to ER and they said, ABSOLUTELY off your feet for 4 days. That meant, I was allowed to walk to the bathroom and that was it. The next week I had my VSG surgery, then went to orthopedic the day I also had my post-surg. followup.

My knees are bad from heavy physical activity when younger and also the weight I had gained. I have one knee that is bone on bone and the other is coming close to that. The orthopedic gave me a shot of Prednisone in the knee that was the most painful at the time. He also sent me to physical therapy and that helped SIGNIFICANTLY!! They also gave me exercises to do at home.

I noticed that someone else talked about the change in gait and center of gravity. That is apparent in that I had to get new shoes because I don't walk on the outside of my feet as much since I lost weight. AND, my 6E shoes are now quite loose! I may have to go down a width or two. (Even my feet are fat, LOL!)

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Gwen M.
on 3/1/18 6:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It might be because you're more active now that you've lost weight?

I wouldn't say I have more aches and pains after losing weight, but I definitely have them. (Going to the orthopedist and physical therapy today, in fact. Whee.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active