The journey begins

Harpediem
on 2/28/18 9:24 am

today I started optifast. Today is the first day of my Thin Life. Holy cow, this really is going to happen. Surgery in 3 weeks. I note 4 optifast a day is 900 calories. It will go down to 650 after surgery. I'm not so afraid of the surgery. I guess I'm afraid I can't maintain the weight loss. One day at a time. Not sure who I'll be if I'm not fat, but I'm working with my therapist on that.

Pauline

Tweety135
on 2/28/18 10:08 am
VSG on 01/23/18

Good Luck! Hang in there...I'm only 5 weeks out from surgery and it's a BIG change but I can already see it's worth it. I know what you mean about discovering an identity outside of what you weigh.

I'm glad you have a good therapist, mine is great and he can see right through me, which is exactly what is needed in my situation. I was a little overwhelmed by the changes in my life. He gave me some nice advice...He said "When our children are growing up, we don't expect them to do everything at once...some kids walk earlier, some kids talk earlier, etc., and we make time for them to grow into their talents and identity. You have had a big change in your life and now you need to give yourself some time to figure out how to be this new person." He asked me to think about the things I did as a child that gave me joy. For me that was art, horses and reading. I'm working very hard on using those interests as coping mechanisms instead of food. I hope this is helpful and best of luck on your journey.

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/18 1:45 pm
VSG on 03/01/18

U can also use ur love of Art & Reading to write a book. The need is great, journaling as you walk through the process gives a great help to others. Like, right now I'd really love to read of the ups & downs (in a story kind of way) of thise that have travelled this journey before me. Lol, jus a thought.

CC C.
on 2/28/18 10:54 am, edited 2/28/18 3:23 am

I think these pre-op diets that some surgeons insist on are harder than any other part! So don't get discouraged with three weeks of Optifast. It's much easier after surgery to take in so few calories. As for maintaining it, it's a challenge, but building good habits and therapy are a great start. Best of luck to you!

ShirlAus
on 2/28/18 11:20 am
VSG on 06/26/17

Wahoo - here you go :) Look forward to welcoming you to the losers bench. Its a big decision but you wont regret it and we will all be here to help you along the way. Amazing support on these boards.

Cheering for you from Australia x

Gwen M.
on 3/1/18 5:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The first 3-4 days are the worst and they pretty much suck for everyone. Sadly, the only way through it is to just suffer :P But, it gets better and it gets easier.

I'm glad you're working with a therapist. Getting the brain stuff sorted out will be your best tool for long term success.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nknerr
on 3/2/18 6:53 am
VBG on 12/07/17

I totally understand where you are coming from re: the weight loss issue. I was told prior to having the surgery that my weight loss would be slower than most, as I had my thyroid removed and so can't "amp up" my metabolism without causing cardiac issues!

My surgical "mentor" is happy if I lose 1 lb a week. And, he said that he knows there will be weeks when I won't lose and weeks when I lose 2-3 lbs.

Pauline, I wish you the best! Keep us up to date.

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Kali26
on 3/2/18 6:33 pm

When did you start seeing a therapist and what kind of therapist?

Harpediem
on 3/3/18 11:58 am

Thanks for the support. On day 4 now and amazed I haven't felt hungry and no cravings to speak of. Day 1 I roasted a giant chicken and cooked veggies for my husband so he's on his own with that and he's ok with it. Lost 5 lb so far.

as for the therapy question I worked as a therapist for many years which requires one to be in and out of therapy to keep ones head on straight. So I'm back on the work on food issues, working with a gestalt therapist who specializes in weight loss clients, having lost and kept off 100 lbs himself.

Most Active