Goal Weight?

22bee22
on 3/19/18 6:11 pm

Do you guys think that 130 lbs is a good goal weight for me? When my surgeon asked me what I wanted to weigh I hesitated and answered how I thought she'd want me to answer so I said 150, now my head has been stuck with that number but I'd really love to weigh 130, since 150 is still considered overweight at my height! I am 25 years old, and I am 5'4" and my current weight is 262, with my highest weight around 270. I just don't want to set a completely unrealistic goal, and I think I suffer from body dysphoria so it's hard for me and I get so caught up in numbers! :(

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/18 7:10 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

If 130 is what you want to weigh and it's healthy, I say go for it. You don't have to stop at 150, and you don't have to stay on 130, you can go in between.

Jess Says Yes
on 3/19/18 7:38 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

It will probably be easier to adjust your goal once you get a little closer to it. I would say worry less about the number and focus more on your health, how you feel, etc. If you're happy with how you look and feel then the number is just a guidepost. If you're not already, I would really recommend seeing a therapist to work on your issues with body dysmorphia. It's not uncommon for wls patients to struggle with dysmorphia, so if it's something you already experience it's a good idea to be proactive!

Jess

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde

Pre-op:-32 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-10 M5-13 M6-8 M7-12 M8-7 M9-7 M10-0 M11-11

Mirandia
on 3/20/18 1:36 am
VSG on 03/14/17

That's really hard to say. I am also 5' 4' and my lowest weight was 145 ... I didn't feel healthy at that weight. I dropped that low when I was working a full time job, was in college full time AND I baby sat 3 kids on the weekends to boot. I was WAY overworked. My normal weight the semester before was about 155 and I was fine even though the charts said I was overweight ... I certainly didn't look it. That being said I had a very curvy figure ... I carried larger than normal T&A and when I lost that 10 pounds it DIDN'T come off of top or bottom because my clothes fit the same. Who knows maybe I was dehydrated or something. Meh

Anyway ... my point is that having a goal weight is all fine and dandy ... but what is going to matter the most is how you FEEL and you might actually feel better with a few more pounds.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

NCMTNEER13
on 3/20/18 6:49 am
VSG on 11/26/18

Don't feel bad. I also struggle with the "how much do you want to weigh" question. It is very hard for me to answer. I'm 310 lbs (321 at 1st bariatric consult in February ). I can't ever remember weighing less than 260 lbs in my adult life, so anything less than 260 would be life-changing for me.

I've told the doctor 200 lbs is my goal, but with my height (6'0") my BMI at 200lbs would be 27, which is still classified as "Overweight". I would need to get below 180 lbs to have a "normal" BMI. So while I would absolutely love to get in that "normal" BMI range, a weight loss of 140 lbs just seems almost impossible for me. Especially when they say WLS will result in an average of 50-60% reduction of excess weight. So in my case, so my predicted weight loss would be 70-85 lbs.

But I think the other posters have it right. I need to learn not to get so caught up in the numbers, and BMIs, and ranges. I just need to focus on the life changes needed for this journey. If I stay committed will lose weight. I should focus on milestones, not a final number. But like I said I understand how difficult that question is.

theAntiChick
on 3/20/18 7:43 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Only you know where you feel and look your best. Your surgeon's estimates are conservative and based on the average. But an individual is not a statistic.

I will never be in a "normal" BMI. Everyone on my medical team agrees that it would not be sustainable for me, or necessarily healthy. The last time I had a normal BMI (before BMI was even a thing) I was 19 and had to be obsessive about dieting and run 2 miles a day. And I looked incredibly gaunt. Just 10lbs heavier and I looked and felt fantastic and was able to relax a little about my eating - still watching and planning my meals but not having to restrict 100% of the time, and could move to an exercise plan that was better for my joints and not as obsessive.

Also remember that your experience and goals are allowed to change. Many people here reach their initial goals, and find that they want to go lower (and do so successfully). I ran into health problems at slightly over a year out, and pretty much stalled out 10-20 lbs above my initial goal range. Now that the weather is nicer and my health problems tend to ease in the Spring, I will probably make another push for goal. But I've also decided that it's OK if I don't make it all the way to the lowest weight in my initial goal range. Everyone on my medical team is thrilled with my loss and its impact on my health, and they'd still be thrilled if I never lost another pound but managed to stay right where I'm at.

If you already have issues with your body image, I strongly suggest that you find a good therapist with experience in eating disorders and body dysmorphia. My therapist was as much a part of my success so far as the surgery. I was an emotional overeater bordering on binge behavior, and the surgery doesn't help the brain. I'm not 100% there, but my relationship with food is MUCH healthier now, and I'm comfortable with my body as it changes.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Valerie G.
on 3/20/18 9:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I found that a clothing size was a more realistic goal to decide on. I picked a person about my height at a healthy looking weight, and that size (size 8) became my goal. I hung on there for a couple of years and even briefly dipped to a six. Now 12 years later I'm a 10 and fine with that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 3/20/18 10:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's hard to tell someone else what their goal should be. Work on losing weight and following your plan, see a therapist to address the body dysphoria. Get to 150 and see how you are when you get there. You don't -need- an end goal weight now. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sampeck
on 3/20/18 4:43 pm
VSG on 05/22/17

I am 5'4" and 34 years old. 10 months out from VSG and I went from 260 to 154. My goal is 145 but I expect to land somewhere in the 150-160 range and I am ok with that. Before surgery my surgeon set my goal at 170 but 160 was the number I had in my head. I was told to lose more than where you expect to settle because almost everyone gains a little bit back.

22bee22
on 3/24/18 7:34 pm

That's awesome! I would love to have similar results. Congrats!

Most Active