VSG over 600 lbs

avee23
on 3/28/18 8:11 pm
VSG on 11/08/17

I have a friend who is over 600 pounds and wants to have VSG instead of bypass. It's very difficult to find testimonies or information because it's not very common, but it seems like VSG is the up and coming and is recommended for BMI over 50. Has anyone had VSG that is over, say, 500 lbs and if so how is your progress? If you happen to know someone we just want to find out if she is on the right path. She's almost through her 6 month insurance period and is worried she's being stubborn about having the sleeve if it's not the right choice. Any input is welcome.

She knows she may lose more with gastric bypass or DS, but she really just wants to get to a healthy weight. I personally think that eating small portions and limited calories will guarantee weight loss, but does it really work that way for someone who is over 600? Her surgeon is willing to do it, but she saw a different one who was hesitant so really it's even mixed between healthcare professionals which is why we'd like to see if there are real people out there who've had success or failure.

Ive checked the message boards for answers and haven't come up with anything. When you search 600 lbs or 500 lbs all you find are posts about the TV show :/

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/18 4:21 am
VSG on 10/11/16

For what it's worth, I was close to 500 lbs. My high weight was 481. So far I've lost 218 lbs. Mindset and determination will go far.

Harpediem
on 3/29/18 4:48 am

A lot of newer research shows weight loss is about the same with both RNY and VSG. It's sll about following the eating rules, not the procedure. That being said VSG is very popular with US surgeons with super morbidly obese patients because it's a quicker easier procedure which puts the patient at less risk as their not anesthetized for as long a time.

tell your friend good luck. Good health is around the corner.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/29/18 6:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There are more important considerations than just weight. Does your friend have gerd? Diabetes?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

avee23
on 3/29/18 7:53 am
VSG on 11/08/17

I believe the only 'co morbidity' is high blood pressure. No diabetes, feed, etc.

NYMom222
on 3/29/18 6:22 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I was over 400lbs at one point in my life and just under when I started the WLS process. For me I wasn't sure a restriction only procedure would be enough. I had been faithfully on diets and not lost significant weight. I needed to lose significant weight. So I wanted the advantage of malabsorption to get me on my way.

And Grim is right there are other factors to consider. If she has GERD in any degree a sleeve is contraindicated. Diabetes has quicker and more likely resolution with the RNY/bypass.

Good Luck to your friend.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 3/29/18 6:30 am
Revision on 03/14/18

I was close to 500 pounds when I had VSG done in Sept2016. I am not 2 weeks post op on revision Rny due to developing severe GERD. I lost 170 pounds with the VSG and was still losing prior to my revision. I agree with Grimm and the other vets. It also depends on what kind of health issues like Diabtes and Gerd, that can make a difference.

CC C.
on 3/29/18 10:45 am

The above considerations are all excellent to pass on. She might also want to consider going to a surgeon that also does the DS. The VSG started as stage one of the DS, but they found some didn't need the second stage. But some do. If her surgeon does both, that could be helpful in the long run if she feels she needs to convert to the DS. Surgeons sometimes don't like touching other surgeon's work, so it might be easier to convert if her surgeon does both and did her VSG.

avee23
on 3/29/18 3:08 pm
VSG on 11/08/17

Very good points! Thank you!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/29/18 11:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

>> "I personally think that eating small portions and limited calories will guarantee weight loss."

I get the feeling that you have never been morbidly obese, nor do you truly understand what it's like. If it was really that simple, nobody would ever need to have surgery.

This is her body and her decision.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active