1 week Post Op

gumball4now
on 4/3/18 11:11 am
VSG on 03/28/18

Hi all! So I'm 1 week post-op. 10 lbs lost. Yay! I still haven't had any remorse, which is good. I think I prepped myself and my family for the worst so that anything will seem easier after. Lol

My experience so far- I woke up from surgery with a great deal of pain. It was almost unbearable and my eyes weren't even open yet! The nurses did an amazing job getting me calmed and administering much stronger pain meds. (My genetics gives me a very high tolerance for most meds, I should've told them) I also had a hiatal hernia repaired and the surgeon said he had to put a stitch in my diaphragm for some reason, still not sure. Day 1 was just existing through pain meds. Day 2 clear liquids and I thought I was going to be home free! Dr was impressed by how much broth and water I was able to take. Lots of spasms that night however, led to Day 3 being much harder. I could barely drink the water and the thought of broth made me gag. I felt so full, bloated and just didn't see how I could ever intake anything ever again. But I was discharged and started my water journey. Haha Good news! Now I'm on Day 6 and yesterday was the only day I felt I could deliver triplets at any time! Lol I'm trying my hardest but I still only get 30-40 oz water a day and only about 15-20 grams of protein maybe. I can tell from my urine I am not dehydrated but I am so tired and weak. I also still have a good bit of pain and this is my last dose of pain meds.

Does this sound like a normal first week to everyone? Should I still be requiring pain medication? And is it normal to not yet be putting down the protein like I should?

I drink water and Premier Protein.

Thanks for any help!

CC C.
on 4/3/18 12:46 pm, edited 4/3/18 5:46 am

I didn't need any pain meds after I came home from the hospital (and also had a hiatal hernia repair), so I think we?re the outliers on either end of the spectrum! Talk to your surgeon about that.

As for the liquids, you need more. I had to get up early (like 6am) and never spent a minute withou****er or a shake in my hand. Every other minute, I took a sip. You'd be surprised how much you can get in that way. I was up to well over 100 ounces (water and shakes) by day 3 doing that.

You can do it! Welcome to the loser's bench!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views