11 Months

Doyenne
on 4/4/18 3:23 am

it has been 11 months since my surgery. Seems long ago. I have lost a lot, and had great joy when I hit onederland, when I hit the magic number of 150. Now by my one year anniversary I am hoping to lose three more pounds to 135. It will make me happy. For those starting, a few things I can say about this journey. The hunger disappeared completely after surgery - for a while. At around six months, I found I can get hungry, and now, my hunger reaction is pretty much as it was before surgery. My interest in food is back too. Right after surgery food and a lump of coal looked pretty much the same to me! I do get acid reflux and manage it, which is something I never had in my life before surgery. Mind hunger is back, and wanting to stress eat. This happened after six months or so, and I don't give in to either. I do suffer from fatigue, and take my vitamins etc. but find at the end of the day I have little energy.... Yes, I am wrinkly, and would like to have plastic surgery someday. Yes, I do know how easy it would be to gain weight - many foods are easy to eat and you can eat a lot. So being very conscious of what you need to eat and sticking to it is a daily focus. I go to the gym once a week, and get 7000 to 11000 steps a day.

I have realized that surgery jump starts a process but it is really all about choices.... do I choose to stick to my goal of being a healthier me, or do I let it slide and enjoy ice cream? (Don't worry, I haven't had ice cream even once!). So what I am trying to say is that I am glad I took the step of getting VSG, and happy with the results. But will need to remember that gaining weight is easy, and that I have to stay focused every single day. And once I hit 135.... well, 130 is possible. But as an older woman I am happy even at 138. I am wearing clothes I like, I know my heart doesn't have to struggle pushing blood around massive fat. My blood pressure is normal. At the gym I can turn the treadmill to 6 mph, for a short time. Imagine that!

Surgery date May 4, 2017

HW 290. Start weight 229. Day of Surgery 209. Month 2: 190. Month 3: 182. Month 4: 174. Month 5: 164. Month 6: 159. Month 7: 153. Month 8: 147. Month 9: 145. Month 10: 142. Month 11: 138 Month 12: 137. Month 13: 139 Month 14: 131. Month 15: 130. Month 16: 131. Month 17: 128. 162 pounds lost!!

Two year anniversary upon me in 3 days: 136. Need to lose a few pounds..

MJSpencer
on 4/4/18 3:36 am
VSG on 03/29/18

Thank you. I had my surgery last Thursday. I love this site and people like you posting your stories. It really helped me to go through with this decision and with posts like yours what to expect in the future. Well done on your achievements.

Harpediem
on 4/4/18 8:53 am

Hi Doyenne

got my sleeve 2 weeks ago. I too am older, 67. I'm curious about the fatigue. Is it worse than before you lost weight? I'm only 2 weeks out so it makes sense I have to pace myself, but I guess I'm worried I'll might never feel the same as before. I did this to feel better, and didn't have much of a fatigue problem before surgery. It sounds like you're pretty active. So is it just that you're tired after all the activity?

Pauline

PS Congrats on great weight loss and thanks for sharing.

Kristi T.
on 4/4/18 10:03 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I was 49 when I had my VSG. I felt so tired for the first month post op. Then all of a sudden my energy level grew each day. Hang in there, two weeks out is still early. Make sure you are pushing the fluids. By my second week I was drinking almost 72oz per day. Fatigue and low energy is the number one symptom of dehydration along with irritability, dizziness, dark urine and headaches. You will not feel the same as before your surgery, you will eventually feel so much better, hang in there!!!

Doyenne
on 4/7/18 11:58 am

I think it's different for each person. After surgery you may definitely feel really tired. That's just the immediate impact that you might have with any surgery. And of course it may last longer as you will be eating very little. My fatigue followed that pattern, with improvement by month five or so, but it is definitely a factor at almost one year. Like today, I have done 5600 steps, not a lot. And I'm just tired. I could easily take a nap, or stay in this chair. I won't. I have my son here so will cook up a nice meal for the family, with plenty of special things he likes, and I won't eat them. But fatigue and managing it is just part of my routine. You do need to keep up with vitamins, and protein and liquids. I am very diligent on that.

Surgery date May 4, 2017

HW 290. Start weight 229. Day of Surgery 209. Month 2: 190. Month 3: 182. Month 4: 174. Month 5: 164. Month 6: 159. Month 7: 153. Month 8: 147. Month 9: 145. Month 10: 142. Month 11: 138 Month 12: 137. Month 13: 139 Month 14: 131. Month 15: 130. Month 16: 131. Month 17: 128. 162 pounds lost!!

Two year anniversary upon me in 3 days: 136. Need to lose a few pounds..

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views