Can I go to Florida 3 weeks post op?

econvey
on 4/13/18 12:30 pm - White Plains, NY

Hi everyone! I just got my surgery date! MAY 4th. I'm very excited but I also have a conflict. I'm supposed to go to Florida with my boyfriend on May 24th. We were originally going to drive but we can fly or drive. Do you guys think I will be able to go? I know everyone heals differently, but will I be ok 3 weeks post op? We will be traveling from NEW YORK ago Florida. Again I can drive OR fly whichever everyone thinks is best. I really want to go but I need to decide now if it is a good idea. Please help lol

CC C.
on 4/13/18 12:39 pm

I think you would be. You might still get pretty tired, but healing-wise, you should be fine. Also, be prepared for food anxiety. It's hard to eat when traveling and even harder that soon out.

MeerKat1994
on 4/13/18 5:03 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

Hey! I think you should be able to. I moved from Illinois to Memphis two weeks after my RNY. It was rough, but doable. But moving is always rough. Personally I would recommend flying since it's a shorter trip. You should still be wary of blood clots that early out, so make sure which ever you do that you get up frequently and walk.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/14/18 5:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I would recommend flying. Drinking water will be the most critical thing at that point. Also make sure you can obtain the proper foods on your surgeons list for 3 weeks out wherever you are staying.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

AnaliaM
on 4/14/18 9:45 am - Miami, FL

I went on a cruise 20 days after my lap-band conversion to a sleeve.

Everything was fine in the surgery and my doctor was ok with the trip. He told me that I had to wear sunscreen on the scars ALL THE TIME, that I had to wear a one piece bathing suit on the beach, and that I could only go into the ocean, no pool or jacuzzi.

It was challenging with the food, so I brought all of my protein shakes with me to the cruise. I only ate fish, chicken, or ground turkey on a cruise full of food!

Lap-Band 2009 -Revision to Sleeve 2018

Valerie G.
on 4/16/18 3:04 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You may be okay, you may not. If you really want to go and know you'll have a good time and not be too tired (I was listless for six weeks) , why not just postpone your surgery date? You're allowed to do that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active