When does weight loss start?

Amc510
on 4/14/18 9:40 am

My VSG surgery was 4/4. I lost 12 pounds in the hospital- stayed an extra day due to extreme nausea. I've been home for 7 days and haven't lost a pound (fluctuated up and down within a pound of the weight I was the day I got home). Is this normal? When can I expect to start losing weight?

I'm following the diet as prescribed, eating about 4 ounces of something every couple hours (protein shake, yogurt with added protein, or blended soup with added protein). My fluid intake isn't as high as I'd like, but I'm getting at least 50 ounces a day. I'm waiting 30 minutes after eating to drink, etc. no exercise yet as I feel like it's too early (listening to my body).

Trying not to be discouraged by the number on the scale, but I read that many lose 1/2 pound a day for the first few weeks, and I'm not going anywhere. Thoughts?

Kristi T.
on 4/14/18 9:52 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Yes, this is very normal. Your body is adjusting to the surgery plus all of the fluids you were given while in the hospital. Just keep following your surgeon's guidelines and keep up with your fluids, that is so important right now. Before you know it, the weight does start to come off. Be patient and maybe put the scale away for a few days:-)

Amc510
on 4/14/18 9:54 am

Thank you! Not a bad idea, putting the scale away. The last thing I want is to get discouraged. I want to keep the positive thoughts flowing :).

Tweety135
on 4/14/18 10:38 am
VSG on 01/23/18

You are doing great! Good job with fluids so soon after surgery. Just go slow. It is too early to exercise, your incisions are still healing (as always ask your doc), try to walk around your house or go outside and walk a little bit at least every couple of hours because it helps with circulation and bowel function. The weight didn't just fall off after surgery for me either, but next week is three months and I'm down 44 pounds total. It's different for everyone. You are doing everything you can right now. I don't weigh myself every day...I go for 3-4 days and am working up to once a week. Best wishes.

B. Jones
on 4/14/18 1:52 pm

You'll be fine just takes time, sounds cliche but it'll happen. My sister gained 8 pounds her 3rd week (that was depressing) next few weeks she's dropped like 5,6,6,8 pounds so you'll be good.

Hang in there.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/14/18 1:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You've lost 12 pounds in 10 days! It's extremely unlikely you will ever be that lucky again!

Work your plan like your life depends on it. A year from now you'll be extremely happy.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MJSpencer
on 4/14/18 6:54 pm
VSG on 03/29/18

Agree with put the scales away. I had my surgery on 29/4 and found I was getting a bit obsessive with daily weighing so now only do it weekly on the same day as my surgery.

I'm noticing the lose in the fact my clothes are getting looser in between. Yesterday I went shopping and bought size 18/20(Aust size) sleep pants thinking if they don't fit they will in a few weeks.......they fit ?

Also agree with the previous post, and that was something I keep telling myself, when did you last loose that much in a week before in your pre surgery life?

Mirandia
on 4/16/18 5:13 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

About the 3rd week for me, don't panic ... you are swollen from the surgery.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Shannon S.
on 4/19/18 3:44 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I actually gained at the hospital and then didn't lose for about 5 days after discharge. This was from all of the IV fluids. You have to get your fluid intake up. Your body will retain what it needs, so in order to release fluid, you have to drink fluid. Good luck!

Most Active