HELP the Newbie here Surgery set for June 20th.

Whatzit28
on 4/16/18 4:44 pm
VSG on 06/20/18

After years of Yo-Yo dieting I made the decision to have the VSG. I am scared and excited all rolled into one big ball. I may have lost my mind a little. I have been eating horrible. All the things I know are wrong.

1. How did you get yourself focused and ready?

2. How many weeks before surgery did you have a special diet to follow?

3. What did you stock your house with during those weeks?

4. How do you stay motivated? I know we are all different but support is great!

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Gwen M.
on 4/16/18 6:37 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I started seeing a therapist 4-5 months before surgery and continued seeing them regularly for about 2 years post-op. Now I just see my therapist on more of an as needed basis. Surgery is on your stomach, so the brain part still takes a lot of work.

I had to do liquids for two weeks pre-op.

I didn't really stock my house with anything, since I had people who could go get me things as needed. I did have my favorite protein powder(s) on hand.

Therapy helps. Reminding myself why I'm doing what I'm doing and what I have to gain helps.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Whatzit28
on 4/19/18 9:51 am
VSG on 06/20/18

What protein powder do you like?

Gwen M.
on 4/19/18 9:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CC C.
on 4/16/18 8:04 pm

Yup, therapy. I didn't have to go on a special diet pre-surgery. The doctor asked me to lose 10 pounds in a month in a half. I lost 17 by eating less and healthier (losing was never my issue, keeping it off was). If your doctor has you do a special diet, they will tell you what they want you to eat. Support here keeps me on track. Good luck!

Whatzit28
on 4/19/18 9:52 am
VSG on 06/20/18

Thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/18 4:15 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Congratulations on your surgery date!

1. For me, I was only ready after I had gone through therapy and addressed other issues. My issues were only partially weight related, majority from abuse from my mother and step-father while growing up that I was using food for. I went through therapy for over a year before I looked into surgery and I continue to go to therapy, just not as intensely (I was going once a week with a few hospital stays in between).

2. I had a partial liquid diet with eating a healthy dinner 2 weeks before and I think the last week full liquid. Find a protein drink you like. I like premier protein, it's simple and high quality. Chike is good too, and Quest-I love their peanut butter- Some surgeons require no special diet pre surgery, but mind believe it would shrink my liver. I'm glad he did, since apparently my stomach lining was so thick my surgery took nearly three hours (yay for being different!)

3. Protein shakes, broth, sugar free Popsicles

4. Being able to live life is a huge motivator. I came from 485lbs, depressed and suicidal. That's not me anymore. I currently weight 185, am moving forward with my career finally at 28, have lots of friends, date confidently, have no shame to be out in public. Those are things I will never take for granted. Those small things mean the world to me. Especially the last one. Not feeling embarrassed just to exist is my greatest motivator.

You'll do great as long as you're in the right head place for it! Follow some tips from all the veterans here, trust me they've given me so much advice I couldn't begin to tell you the value of it. Even though I asked questioned they've heard a million times, they were willing to answer and if you were doing something dumb someone was going to tell you why it was dumb and what you should be doing instead. I love that.

Whatzit28
on 4/19/18 9:54 am
VSG on 06/20/18

Wow! You have come a long way. Thank you for your kinds words. I have been thinking and researching for over a year. I saw my surgeon in February. I know I have food issues and am working through them.

theAntiChick
on 4/17/18 7:43 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Therapy, therapy, therapy. I did months of therapy about my food issues before I had surgery. As the vets here say "they operate on your stomach, not your brain". I can see where I could have (and would have) gotten way off track almost from the very beginning if not for my therapy working on emotional eating and bingeing.

I had to do 2 weeks of 2-3 protein shakes a day plus a healthy dinner and healthy snacks. My surgeon doesn't do a full liquid pre-op diet unless she sees signs of an enlarged liver.

I stocked up on protein powders that I had determined I liked - and here's a warning... many people find their tastes radically change post-op. I found I couldn't tolerate any of the powders I'd laid in stock of (I still have them over a year and a half later) but liked the Premier Protein they gave me in the hospital, so I started drinking that post-op. So only get what you need for your pre-op diet, and maybe a sampler of different brands/flavors for after. I also got a couple of weeks' worth of pudding, jello, greek yogurt, etc. that was allowed on my immediate post-op diet.

Another tip - I had GREAT success with the Syntrax nectar mixed up and frozen in pop-type tubes (they have them on Amazon). It really helped me get my protein and liquids in the first week when everything was swollen and drinking volume is hard. I loved the roadside lemonade flavor, but they have a bunch to choose from and you can find sampler packs out there.

I was motivated because of my auto-immune disease, my rheumatologist said the surgery might help. It has, as I'm now in remission (knock on wood). That kept me going through some of the rough patches. Each person has to find what motivates them and hang on to it. Online support was great for me, because of my schedule and location I had a hard time finding an in-person group.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Kristi T.
on 4/17/18 9:57 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

1. I got myself focused and ready by increasing my therapy appointments to 2x a month instead of the 1x a month I was already doing. I stopped all carbonated drinks and practiced not drinking during meals or 30 minutes after. I also tapered myself off of my "trigger" foods, which for me is anything with carbs:-)

2. I had a 10 day pre op type diet, 7 days of protein shakes and a few select raw veggies and fruit. The last 3 days were nothing but clear liquids. I was switched to Isopure clear protein drinks(awful tasting:-)

3. I didn't stock up too much, just made sure I had enough protein shakes...mostly Premiere Protein and the prescribed clear Isopure. I had a few varieties of broth, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and plenty of eggs.

4. I stayed motivated by continuing therapy and joining OH. I only told one family member, my mother, and she was a great support and still is.

I wish you the best! Continue with OH, maybe join in on the VSG menu thread to get an idea of what others eat. Your most important job after your surgery is to stay hydrated and move as soon as you can. Sip, sip and sip some more. Walk, walk and walk some more!!!

Most Active