Weight gain after VSG :-(

Xtina90
on 5/13/18 6:59 pm - MA
VSG on 06/09/13

So I had the VSG in 2013, the day of surgery I weighed 268lbs. My lowest weight was 199lbs but I seemed to plateau at about 215lbs. Since then I have gained basically all my weight back. Today I weigh 260lbs. My stomach hasn't stretched. I had that barium test to see if it did and the doctor said she was impressed that my stomach had not stretched at all. I still eat small portions, while I may not eat the healthiest diet, I do not overeat or eat unhealthy food in excess. I can't seem to figure out why I gained all my weight back.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do? I am also opened to feedback, suggestions, and any opinions on how and why this happened and how I can get back to losing weight again.

I feel like such a failure :-(

hollykim
on 5/13/18 7:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 14, 2018 at 1:59 AM Pacific Time, Xtina90 wrote:

So I had the VSG in 2013, the day of surgery I weighed 268lbs. My lowest weight was 199lbs but I seemed to plateau at about 215lbs. Since then I have gained basically all my weight back. Today I weigh 260lbs. My stomach hasn't stretched. I had that barium test to see if it did and the doctor said she was impressed that my stomach had not stretched at all. I still eat small portions, while I may not eat the healthiest diet, I do not overeat or eat unhealthy food in excess. I can't seem to figure out why I gained all my weight back.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do? I am also opened to feedback, suggestions, and any opinions on how and why this happened and how I can get back to losing weight again.

you have to be eating too much of the wrong foods. Post what you ate yesterday and we can try to trouble shoot for you.

Xtina90
on 5/13/18 8:10 pm - MA
VSG on 06/09/13
On May 14, 2018 at 2:44 AM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
On May 14, 2018 at 1:59 AM Pacific Time, Xtina90 wrote:

you have to be eating too much of the wrong foods. Post what you ate yesterday and we can try to trouble shoot for you.

Thanks for the reply!

Typical Breakfast:

Mango and greens smoothie made with coconu****er (the fruit and veggies will vary)

*On weekends I normally do eggs or oatmeal

Snack:

Chobani peach greek yogurt with Nature Valley Granola. (Sometimes this is my breakfast)

*I don't have this snack on weekends

Lunch:

Cauliflower rice with pesto and veggies

Snack:

Pirates Booty or some other type of snack (typically if I didn't have an earlier snack)

Dinner:

Chicken wrap (with lettuce and a little mustard) with Terra Chips - Sweet potato flavored

ladygodiva1228
on 5/14/18 4:54 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I see higher carbs than protein. Personally I would cut out any smooties, oatmeal, granola, and veggie chips.

Where is your protein? How is your water intake?

If you eat dense proteins for each meal you will feel fuller longer.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Grim_Traveller
on 5/14/18 5:18 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's easy to explain the regain after seeing your diet.

Stop drinking your calories. You'll never feel satiated. It's too many calories, and too much sugar. It doesnt matter if sugar comes from fruit. Its still sugar.

No granola. It's all wasted calories. Eat the yogurt, and that's plenty.

No Pirates Booty, or anything similar. Too many caliiries, and all for no nutritional value.

Where's your protein? There's very little there. You need to try dense protein, and nothing but. Do that for a while, and the weight will start coming off.

It's not easy. But it is certainly doable.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

stacyrg
on 5/14/18 10:23 am
VSG on 05/12/14

There's a ton of sugar in the Nature Valley Granola, also. So even if you're only adding a small amount, it's not giving you any nutritional value

Amy R.
on 5/14/18 9:02 am

Seeing what you're eating is helpful. Seeing the AMOUNTS you're eating is key.

There is a huge difference between a couple of bites of a wrap and the whole wrap. Do you track portion sizes objectively? As in with a scale?

Xtina90
on 5/14/18 3:23 pm - MA
VSG on 06/09/13

Thanks for the reply! :-)

For amounts I would say about 12 oz for the smoothie, the yogurts are the single serving cups that chobani does. I normally eat half a wrap, I couldn't eat a whole one if I tried. And no I do not have a scale.

hollykim
on 5/14/18 10:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

the menu is 93.7 gms of sugar and 24.3 gems of protein. The diet is totally backwards to what it should be.

During the losing phase,most successful ppl often don't eat this much sugar in two or three days.

the body burns sugar for energy. When one eats carbs, the carbs start turning into sugar the minute they hit your mouth,where digestion starts. They start going into your blood stream immediately and your body starts using this quickly available sugar for energy,to run your body.

as long as your body has this huge amount of sugar to use every day,it will not burn your stored fat to use for energy. Burning stored fat is what causes weight loss.

You are not going to start losing again until you cut way,way back on sugar and go way way up on protein,imho.

dferg247365
on 5/14/18 4:58 pm

You are correct, I have applied all of those rules. I am also focus on my fluid intake and making sure to take all my vitamins. I have made it a point to be more active, yard work, walking, washing cars etc. I have lost 15 lbs since April 15, it is working.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views