Weight gain after VSG :-(

dferg247365
on 5/14/18 5:02 pm

You are correct, I have applied all of those rules. I am also focus on my fluid intake and making sure to take all my vitamins. I have made it a point to be more active, yard work, walking, washing cars etc. I have lost 15 lbs since April 15, it is working.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/14/18 12:34 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

When losing weight, most people aim for 600 - 800 calories, 60+g protein, and under 25g carbs.

Your food is high in carbs, low in protein, and without specifying amounts, you're undoubtedly eating far more calories than you expend.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mmsmom
on 5/14/18 4:14 am - Woburn, MA

You should go see a nutritionist - or even join something like Weigh****chers. Maybe your key words here are "in excess" -it doesn't take much to gain or maintain. You really have to eat like small child to lose and then you can see at what point you can add in to maintain. Clearly you're eating too much (hope that didn't sound offensive, it wasn't meant that way).

VSG on 04/28/2014

Xtina90
on 5/14/18 3:28 pm - MA
VSG on 06/09/13

Thanks for the reply! :-)

I actually just started weigh****chers last week. I have been gradually adjusting my food to make it work within their point system.

No, you don't sound offensive, I welcome the advice. Can you tell me in what way I'm eating too much? Like what should be cut out?

Kristi T.
on 5/14/18 9:28 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I agree with all of the other posters. I only see a small amount of protein from the yogurt and the chicken. I try everyday to get at the minimum of 70g of protein and shoot for 80oz-100oz of fluids. Increase both and drop the snacks and sugar from fruit and your weight will start to come off. I wish the best for you. You can do this!

B. Jones
on 5/14/18 10:12 am

First off, your not a failure remember that.

Your a human being like the rest of us :) This is just another bump in the road.

I was feelin the same way 4 months ago. Went back to work after a major surgery, gained 30 pounds whilst I was off work for 5 months. I was 550, down to 240 after surgery, back up to 335 UGH!

I started a Ketoish/Paleoish kinda diet and basically cut the carbs. I only do 50-75 carbs a day, 120-140 protein, not even counting calories. I've lost 48 lbs in 4months. Trying to get to 200. I don't exercise at all, wish I could. I Have a lot of physical therapy right now. But knowing I'll be turning that corner soon helps me keep going.

Cut the carbs! My surgeon always said that and he's right. I've eaten more eggs in the last 4 months than the last 4 years. Find a plan and stick with it. You can do it :)

Theduffman27
on 5/14/18 12:18 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

Great Job, Inspirational!

1. Pre- Surgery/ Type 2 Diabetes, High BP and Cholesterol, treated with 6 medications, including Insulin. Post Op- low dose BP med 2022, Mounjaro 10/2023

HW - 299 , Consult day weight - 277, Day of surgery ( 11/19/2014) - 259,LW - 178, GW - 195, CW- 194.2 - reached goal

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/18 10:15 am
VSG on 01/12/17

You've done amazing, B!

Theduffman27
on 5/14/18 12:17 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

You have received some great advice.

I think the vets would agree that most long term succesful WLS folks follow a strict regimen of High protein, low carb diet, no bread, rice, pasta, starches, wraps, chips, etc. We need to Log every piece of food/vitamin/condiment that goes in our mouth, we need to weigh daily so we are able to ensure we continue to maintain.

I would highly recommend visiting this site on a daily basis and participation on the daily menu thread, VSG and RNY. By doing this you will get to read about what others are doing/eating and also will realize that we are all in this fight together.

You are not a failure, you are here for advice and support. You will find both on OH, as long as you take full ownership and fight this battle. Good luck, I am rooting for you.

1. Pre- Surgery/ Type 2 Diabetes, High BP and Cholesterol, treated with 6 medications, including Insulin. Post Op- low dose BP med 2022, Mounjaro 10/2023

HW - 299 , Consult day weight - 277, Day of surgery ( 11/19/2014) - 259,LW - 178, GW - 195, CW- 194.2 - reached goal

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/15/18 3:21 am

You got great advice about the diet. Too many carbs, not enough proteins.

You still have your tool. You can lose weight, and as long as you willing to do the work - it will happen.

But - and there is a big "BUT" - even when you change the diet and are very strict with it - the weight loss can be very slow. Like 1-2 lbs a week slow. If you have 100 lbs to lose - that may take you a year or longer. But it will happen if you change your diet.

Initially- since you are heavier ,- you may see, and you should see much bigger loses. Later on - as you get smaller - the weight loss may slow down or even stop for a couple of weeks. Don't get discouraged when that happens. But reevaluate your diet and calories intake, and other numbers - like proteins and carbs.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views