Things just got real-real!

PCBR
on 5/22/18 6:21 am

I'm starting my pre-op diet today. I'm excited and anxious, too. I actually slept poorly and had a nightmare that I accidentally ate a high-fat soup while on it (lol). From times I've cut sugar and carbs in the past, I know it's gonna be a week of suck while I detox (and I'm not gonna lie, I overdid it yesterday -- a farewell tour of some of my favorite stuff). I'm also scared about the low-fat/low-calorie--almonds, etc used to get me though when cutting sugar, but they are not part of the plan. I also think, on a deeper level, I'm scared that if this diet is intimidating me, it means I'm not ready for what lies ahead. Did any of you go through that?

Anyway, I'm know I need to keep focus on the why's to get through it. My mantra is going to be "do something today that your future self will thank you for.

Ajeffries
on 5/22/18 7:12 am
VSG on 01/27/16

It is scary but this is the first day of the rest of your life. You can do this!

MJSpencer
on 5/22/18 7:13 am
VSG on 03/29/18

Your mantra is spot on. It is totally natural to be apprehensive. Good luck.

Miss150
on 5/22/18 7:47 am

If I remember correctly, my pre-op consisted of 3-4 protein shakes for two weeks. I thought at the time "no way" and that I would be starving the whole entire time. The first 2-3 days were miserable, but after that, no problem-cravings, etc. In fact I only had 3 shakes a day-not much hunger at all.

The trick, I think, if there is one, is that yummy food (sugar-simple carbs-flavorful fats) stimulate our pleasure receptors and cause us to want more- thus the constant desire to feed that part of the brain, as it were.

Allowing yourself a bit of indulgence during pre op diet is not helpful-rather, it may prolong the torture. Don't really know, just my experience.

Carry on- be brave and disciplined. Practicing those behaviors before hand will be helpful in your success after surgery. You can do this. Keep your eyes on the prize!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

PCBR
on 5/30/18 8:42 pm

Thanks, guys! I appreciate all the kind words and advice. Over a week down! I have stuck to the diet. Days 2-4 were terrible--Constant migraine, brain fog and totally exhaustion. But I came out on the other end. I haven't lost as much as I thought I would have, but I do believe I'm in the 2-4% loss that my doctors office quoted. I can't say I feel hungry, but I still feel a tug when I see co-workers eating. But I'm staying the course--figure if I can't do so now, I won't be able to later.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views