Fell off the wagon

AIRBORNEWIFEY
on 5/23/18 5:34 pm

Hi all. It's been several years since I posted. I'm 7 years out from surgery. I originally lost 112 lbs but have gained about 35 back...20 of it in the last 3 months. I'm very frustrated and discouraged. I decided to come back here for support and advice. I moved across the country in February and I think the whole change drug me away from my focus. I am currently doing the controversial 10 day reset. Not so much to shrink my stomach but to refocus on the basics. I work a lot and don't have time to exercise (yes biggest excuse ever) so I have started walking the 4 flights of stairs to my office instead of ever taking the elevator and I walk for my lunch break. I know the biggest issue is that I gave into my carb addiction and stopped worrying about my protein intake. I guess I'm just saying hi and looking for a bit of encouragement.

Jess Says Yes
on 5/23/18 8:10 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

Hey there! I'm sorry you're dealing with regain. I'm only a few months out from surgery but I've struggled with food issues my whole life so I can definitely empathize! It's great that you're taking steps (literally haha) to get your health under control again! We have a daily menu thread here that may help with accountability.

Regain is a common topic here and some of the tips I've seen the vets give over and over are:

• Seek out counseling to help address your issues with food (soooo much of this is mental!)
  • Weigh & track every bite
  • calories under 800 during weight loss phase
  • at least 60 grams of protein per day
  • at least 64oz of water per day
  • carbs under 30 grams
  • No drinking calories
  • No liquids 30 min before or after meals
  • Dense protein first, then veggies if there's room
  • stick to your vitamin regimen
  • Get 7-9 hours of sleep each night

Good luck with everything!

Jess

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde

Pre-op:-32 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-10 M5-13 M6-8 M7-12 M8-7 M9-7 M10-0 M11-11

tdb033
on 5/23/18 8:10 pm
VSG on 08/27/18

Hi! Newbie still in the pre-op stages waiting on approval so I doubt there is any diet advice that I could give you over someone with more experience. However, one good thing is that you are taking control of it at 35 lbs instead of continuing to gain!

You have some solid ideas about what led to your regain so I would try to refocus your eating around your surgeons guidelines from when you were initially losing weight and see if the pounds come back off.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/24/18 5:15 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Here is one of Kathy S.' Posts on regain which I always think are spot on. I'm glad you posted btw.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/BC/6018751/Regain-after-3- years-VSG-Vancouver-Island-support-group/#50417806

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Kara D.
on 5/24/18 11:56 am
VSG on 03/02/15

I'm so glad I found this response to this question. Those answers and advice are what need to remember. I've gotten away from the basics, protein first, veggies after if room and no water 30 minutes before or after!

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278

Kara D.
on 5/24/18 11:58 am
VSG on 03/02/15

What is the 10 day reset? I've wondered about going back to my pre-op liquid diet for a week or so to see if I can get back on track.

AIRBORNEWIFEY
on 5/25/18 2:52 pm

Basically it's like the pre surgery diat but not as strict for as long. Day 1 clear liquids, Day 2-3 full liquid, 4-6 pureed food, 7-9 soft foods and 10 forward healthy foods. All of the advice listed above to go along with it.

Kara D.
on 5/27/18 5:14 am
VSG on 03/02/15

How is your reset going? I've often thought about going with a pre-op diet for a few days. Your version sounds better, I think I'll try it.

Im glad I read your post. It has very helpful advice reminding me of the basics I've gotten away from. I'm only 3 years post-op and feel like I'm failing my diet. I hope your reset goes well and you get back on track. I'd like to follow your progress.

AIRBORNEWIFEY
on 5/25/18 2:48 pm

Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. It really helps to know that other people under what we are going through. I have worked too long and hard to let food win in the end. I am at day 4 of the reset and I can tell you my energy level is so much higher and I don't feel that sugar crash nastiness. Thanks again. Have a wonderful weekend

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/18 5:14 am

Regain is tough I am back on my wagon (10 years out ... also started my struggle in about year 7). I have about 23 as of today to get off and on high protein, low sugar and about 950 -1000 calories. At 10 years out I have a hard time dropping lower then that with my calories but I do lose if I stay. The course! It's been a few days and my cravings are going away!!! Yeah! Have a good holiday weekend and stay strong! For me last Easter holiday messed me up (fell off track) and at that point I was only 15 from goal! :) so here we go again! All is good!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 34 views