Help?? Choosing between Dr. Juan Lopez Corvala and Dr. Ariel Ortiz, any experiences?

camcam95
on 6/18/18 6:24 pm

I've been researching Tijuana surgeons for the sleeve and I've finally narrowed my search down to Corvala and Ortiz.

Corvala

• +A lot of experience.
  • +Actual hospital.
  • - Not too many reviews.

Ortiz

• +OCC solely dedicated to weight loss surgery's.
  • +I have found a lot more reviews on him.
  • -Although, I have found a few reviews that state they had complications and were then ignored.

I was leaning towards Ortiz but the negative reviews scared me. His website states 0 complications and 0 deaths, but obviously that's not correct. Now I am leaning towards Corvala but I just can't find that much info on him, except he has a ton of experience and works at the Angeles Hospital which is state of the art- which does bring me peace of mind.

Also, I am doing this on my own, my family does not support the surgery (especially in tijuana) but I need to do this for MYSELF. So I can't go to them for advice...

Any help/advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/19/18 12:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you seen the sub-forum for surgery in Mexico? I'd suggest taking a look.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Teresa G.
on 6/20/18 9:29 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I'd recommend that you have a WLS doctor where you're located who is willing to treat you post-surgery if necessary (and hopefully it won't be!)

My surgeon is one of the only ones in my state who will care for Mexico WLS patients. Another reason why I adore him; he is the most compassionate and caring doctor I've ever known. His words: "If I didn't take care of them, who would? They can't go back to Mexico if they have complications."

Do follow Julie's suggestion to check out the Mexico WLS forums. I'm sure you'll get lots of good information there!

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

stomachsounds
on 6/24/18 12:26 pm
VSG on 08/01/18

I was in the exact same dilemma, and I ended up scheduling with Dr. Corvala. Both of them are excellent surgeons, and you really can't go wrong with either one. I went with the surgeon that I felt more of a connection with.

I was a little turned off by the way that Dr. Ortiz marketed himself (which does NOT make him a bad surgeon, and I'm sure he is wonderful in person), and I didn't have the best experiences with the receptionists at OCC. But, again, go with your gut. The scheduling process with Dr. Corvala is very relaxed, and I look forward to meeting surgery him on August 1st. :)

FEE76
on 12/20/18 8:31 am
VSG on 03/16/19

I am scheduled to have surgery done by Dr. Corvala March 16,2019. What all was done before the surgery ( nutritionist, ekg, blood work, etc.) and were there follow up procedures?

sugarchele
on 9/5/19 11:32 pm
sugarchele
on 9/5/19 11:31 pm
Most Active