9 days ost op. Work potluck :(

jd_vsg2018
on 6/20/18 9:26 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Today at work we are hosting a farewell potluck. Of course, I cannot eat anything there. I hate to miss it, but right now I feel like that is my only option. Anyone else faced with temptation so soon after surgery? Help!

stacyrg
on 6/20/18 9:37 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I went to a graduation party 2 weeks post op. It was at an Italian restaurant. I ordered an Iced Tea and sat at the table while everyone ate enjoying the conversation. It seems like it would be harder than it actually was. Take a drink with you or a protein shake to sip on. If people don't know about your surgery, tell them you have an upset stomach and food is of no interest. Go for the conversation and good times!

Teresa G.
on 6/20/18 9:41 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

My workplace has potlucks regularly. I just don't go. If anyone asks me why, I just tell them I brought my own lunch. Also, it's well-known by my co-workers that I don't usually participate with potlucks for a couple reasons:

A friend of mine was eating a salad and something was chewy, but no matter how much she chewed it wasn't breaking up. She pulled it out of her mouth....it was a band-aid that had come off the finger of whoever prepared the salad.

Another example...again from a friend. He was eating some casserole that someone had brought..and it had some little rocks or other debris type things in it. The person who made the casserole told him that it had fallen off the seat of her car onto the floor, but she just scooped it back into the casserole dish and picked out any debris that was visible.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

jd_vsg2018
on 6/20/18 11:48 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Thanks for the feedback! And yuck - I'm not a huge fan of potlucks either. I ended up skipping it. Too bad I can still smell the food in the office I will be so happy when I get to the pureed foods phase!!!

hollykim
on 6/20/18 12:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 20, 2018 at 4:26 PM Pacific Time, jd_vsg2018 wrote:

Today at work we are hosting a farewell potluck. Of course, I cannot eat anything there. I hate to miss it, but right now I feel like that is my only option. Anyone else faced with temptation so soon after surgery? Help!

I would have skipped it also.

What o will tell you is that temptation often doesn't go away for everyone.

May at 8 years out and in maintenance, I I will still find myself tempted many times.

Is is it easier to svoid temptation at 9 years out? Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not. It is definitely something I have to think about every day.

Most Active