Gulp and PAIN

MissCheri18
on 7/3/18 9:34 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

I've been doing pretty good...UNTIL about 12:30pm yesterday my 1 week anniversary. I made a huge mistake, or I think it was what I did? I drank down about 2 oz. of Protein2o in a hurry like the old days; about 15 min. later cramp**** me and hit me hard! I ended up in a sweat worse than when I had a major heart attack, I mean my clothes, hair etc. was SOAKED, I had dry heaves and then diarrhea hit and I got super dizzy and actually thought I was going to pass out. The abdominal area was in the most horrible pain and isn't a whole lot better today. I took my nausea med then a pain med which for the first time did not knock me or the pain out.

Today I feel VERY bloated (yep took my heartburn med) and my middle does hurt if I move at all, I am able to get up and function enough to go to the bathroom and managed to get in a shower but it was not easy! I have a Dr. appt. for follow up in a couple of hours thankfully! I am hopeful it is the quick over drink of cold liquid and not something else.

I'm having trouble drinking water but I've managed a little, only about 4 oz. had my sister go buy me a cup of crushed ice like the hospital had and managed to get down about 4 oz. of it and 1/2c chicken broth, which seemed to set so working on another 1/2c now. Any suggestions?

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/18 11:28 am
VSG on 01/12/17

It's so hard to break that guzzling habit. I was a big drink guzzler. Now I drink slow! I do eat way too fast though. That's my worst habit. I gulp my food down. I guess since it's all pre portioned and I don't care about eating for enjoyment it's okay.

mmsmom
on 7/3/18 11:52 am - Woburn, MA

You probably have to wait it out...good you are going to the dr. Hope you feel better soon.

VSG on 04/28/2014

PCBR
on 7/3/18 12:01 pm

I struggle with gulping, too. And yes, sometimes I catch myself trying to take too big of a bite (usually while working and find that I have a meeting coming up or something).

I'm sorry this happened to you. Only your doc can tell you what happened. But whatever happened, I doubt it's permanent and doubt that you did any lasting damage. Maybe you bruised yourself and/or took in a lot of gas. Hope you feel better soon!

MissCheri18
on 7/3/18 4:41 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Thank you every one. They figure it is what I gulped, even though it said 1 g of sugar the other stuff is what was triggered when I gulped it. Which triggered my mid-section to swell up and yes get gassy, hit me super hard since it was only a week to the day after surgery.

It is the worse dumping they have seen in a VSG I'm on a strict ONLY clear liquids still and orders as to what to get my butt to the ER for in the next couple of days, otherwise I have a super early appointment with them on Friday. Why my mid-section is still hurting so badly was the dry heaves, when I got to thinking about it this is what happens if I happen to get the flu also.

I'm one tough old lady and this took me down, it scared me too. You can bet your bottom dollar I will be super careful in the future.

Good news my outer incisions are healing very well and I have lost 14 lbs. which gave me a big of a smile.

HW 239.9, SW 223

Cheri

PCBR
on 7/3/18 7:13 pm

Sheesh, what a scare. You poor thing.

My clear protein drink is Premier Protein Ckear--raspberry flavor. It has no sugar and 1 g of carbs. Don't get me wrong--it's not the yummiest drink ever and it does leave a weird film/aftertaste. But you could get it quick from Amazon.

MissCheri18
on 7/4/18 9:59 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

None of my other Protein drinks including my Premier Pre-made shakes with 1g of sugar have bothered me, this Protein2o never did either UNTIL I gulped down that last drink. The Protein2o has only 1g sugar listed BUT they read all the ingredients and it has lots of other artificial sweeteners and they think gulping that down is what triggered the dumping. The complications with the dumping is most likely because it was just 1 week since surgery and I'd had other things done during the surgery which made it a bit more sensitive. Today the pain seems to be about 1/2 of what it was yesterday but I've been falling asleep a lot, I guess I need to sleep and let my body repair. You can be sure I will read, READ the ingredients in the future and NOT GULP anything.

HW 239.9, SW 223

Cheri

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views