So day 3 of post op questions

Amalicea
on 8/5/18 6:03 am
VSG on 08/02/18

I was told that today I can enter full liquids which it's cool since I'm starting to hate jello. But I'm in still in a ton of pain do to the air still in me. How did some of you deal with that?

Plus coffee and tea drinkers what sugar did you use? I was told not to use honey.

also, how did you drink 64 oz of water? it took me 2 days to finish 30 oz.

Gwen M.
on 8/5/18 6:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Walking is the best bet to get the air out from laparoscopy. Walk as much as you can.

Any calorie-free sweetener should be fine. People use stevia, aspartame, splenda, whatever. Honey is pure sugar.

As for drinking, hydration is your number one job right now. Set an alarm to remind yourself to drink every 10 minutes. Experiment with different liquids and temperatures until you find something you can tolerate.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Knitter215
on 8/5/18 8:34 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Walk, walk, walk - that will help get rid of the gas. Setting a timer to help drink is a great idea. Also, try different temperature for the liquids - it may help them go down easier - somedays I found room temp was best, other days cold was better.

I use Stevia in the Raw and have for years. Personally, I don't like Equal, but I can live with Sweet and Low - the next time you are at a coffee shop or restaurant, pick up a few packets of each to try in your beverage without having to buy a box of each and then figure out what to do with the ones you don't like.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Amalicea
on 8/5/18 10:27 am
VSG on 08/02/18

Tried the stevia not sure if it was the vitamin or the stevia but my new stomach was not happy at all.

i will try different temps and see if that helps

kamac
on 8/5/18 8:47 am
VSG on 07/09/18

The first few days are tough. When I was 3 days post-op I was incredibly bloated and sore. I wasn't able to drink a full 64oz of fluid at that point either. But I set my phone to remind me every 15 minutes to drink, several sips during each interval, slowly.

I also found eating sugar-free freezies to be incredibly helpful during those first few days. Each freezie was 60ml or a little over 2oz. Crunching and sucking on 4 freezies was easier than drinking a cup of water.

As Gwen said, walking is the best way to get the gas the moving. Sip, walk, rest, repeat. It's not easy at first but you'll be feeling better in no time.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Amalicea
on 8/5/18 10:30 am
VSG on 08/02/18

Any freeze pops you recommend the ones I've been using I find sickly sweet even though they are sugar free

Valerie G.
on 8/5/18 8:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Wiggle and walk to work the air out of it's little hidey holes.

I use stevia as a sweetener.

64oz isn't a joke, it's a minimum requirement daily, starting the day they removed the IV from your arm. It's a full time job right now, but achievable. I carried a 64oz cup with me everywhere and I took a sip before I did anything, and another sip after I did it. I made up drinking games...whatever it takes. Anything wet counts, too. Force yourself, for if you don't you'll start to feel much, much worse.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active