stomach acid??!!

Jessica0913
on 8/7/18 8:45 am
VSG on 05/16/17

So I had my sleeve done 05/16/17 and all has been great with exception to my Gerds. I take my Omeprazole faithfully every day because if not I'm in trouble but last night I woke up with a surge of what i can only assume is either stomach acid or bile( because it left a terrible taste in my throat) that was on its way out. I didn't actually vomit more like chocked on it but it was nasty tasting and burned pretty bad. It happened before right after surgery but never again so I'm wondering if it could be something worse. Has any one else had this? Any changes to the diet I should try? any help or suggestions would be helpful.

MarinaGirl
on 8/7/18 9:12 am

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. My best suggestion is to see a gastroenterologist to get your GERD properly diagnosed & documented. Unfortunately, PPIs only mask the symptoms; acid & bile will still continue to damage your tissues. This is a serious situation as damage from long-term reflux could could lead to Barrett's Esophagus and/or esophageal cancer. You may need to be revised from a VSG to RNY to resolve the issue. Many people on OH have gone through this same thing.

Gwen M.
on 8/7/18 9:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is definitely something you should talk to your surgeon about. Many people develop GERD after VSG and it can lead to some concerning health problems.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 8/7/18 9:40 am

Did you eat later than normal last night? Or eat something spicy? Not eating late at night and raising the top of your bed can help prevent this, but you should also talk to your doctor.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 8/7/18 10:06 am - Warren, OH

I have talked to doctors and tried a lot of pills. What works best for me is 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in four ounces of water. Spicy food at night and not elevating my head can bring it on.

Talk to the doctor. That is what I did and then tried the baking soda and no longer take any of the heartburn pills. Now it only happens a few times a year and the baking soda stops it immediately.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mmsmom
on 8/7/18 10:29 am - Woburn, MA

I agree with a previous post - sounds like you ate too close to bedtime - if this is only a random thing. I cannot eat within an hour of bed.

VSG on 04/28/2014

stacyrg
on 8/8/18 10:50 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I had to revise from VSG to RNY because of acid that would choke me in my sleep. In addition to the other suggestions here, one thing you could try is changing up your PPI, maybe try prevacid, or Protonix or a medication called Dexilant. Dexilant was the only one that would give me any relief, but I ultimately decided to convert to RNY rather than worry about damage to my esophagus.

PrincessPR
on 8/10/18 6:28 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

Unfortunately I'm likely facing surgical intervention for severe GERD as well. I'm curious, was your revision covered as a medical necessity for GERD?? Was It handled differently financially/insurance wise since it was mainly due to GERD issues??

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

Tx38special
on 8/12/18 3:55 pm

Sorry for asking what might be a dumb question, nut what is RNY and why revise it from VSG? Is the RNY the bypass?

Thanks, Lynn

stacyrg
on 8/13/18 10:12 am
VSG on 05/12/14

RNY is a bypass. I had to revise from a sleeve because the sleeve caused my severe acid issue. The revision helps to reduce the acid flowing back up my esophagus.

Most Active