8 years + out (male) - ask me ANYTHING - Warning: pure honesty will be given.

Alex74
on 8/8/18 3:15 pm - Chandler, AZ

Hey all. I'm a VSG patient 8 years out and I'm here to answer anything you need to know about being this far out from surgery. I'll post pics if you like. Warning: pure honesty.

Want to know about the impact of loose skin?

If the actual food "addiction" sticks?

This is a male perspective.

Gwen M.
on 8/8/18 4:08 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

What inspired you to come back to OH after 7 years?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Alex74
on 8/8/18 8:02 pm - Chandler, AZ

Hi Gwen. I returned simply because I'd lost the reason I did it in the first place and to see how far I've come. Also, I didn't have much support other than this forum in the beginning and I'm now so far away from the surgery as an "identifier" or the judgement of having weight loss surgery it's become apparent the only way to fight the stigma is to literally tell anyone that is slightly curious.

The surgery will change you life, your relationship with food but it opens up/and takes away your ability to get "high" from food. You can bypass it with sugary drink, which I've done. I've gone as high as about 70% regain in weight, and now I'm steady at about 35% of the weight regain. I have to say I didn't/was not able to have the skin removal, so my sense of my size and how I'm perceived from other is distorted still.

This distortion isn't the fault or caused by the surgery or the need to start the weight loss journey.

Gwen M.
on 8/9/18 4:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry you haven't been able to find support in the last 8 years. A good place to start would be to call your surgeon's office and see if they have a support group - you could also call other local bariatric offices to ask the same.

As for the body dysmorphia, a therapist might be able to help you work through those feelings. If you can find one where you are, a therapist who specializes in movement (the speciality is normally called a "dance movement therapist" although there isn't really dance involved) could help you with body awareness. However, things like yoga, pilates, and tai chi can also help with body awareness and that can improve the feelings of dysmorphia.

Congrats on losing some of your regain. The surgery is indeed just a tool and it can be eaten around through grazing or consuming slider foods.

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

hollykim
on 8/9/18 1:20 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 9, 2018 at 3:02 AM Pacific Time, Alex74 wrote:

Hi Gwen. I returned simply because I'd lost the reason I did it in the first place and to see how far I've come. Also, I didn't have much support other than this forum in the beginning and I'm now so far away from the surgery as an "identifier" or the judgement of having weight loss surgery it's become apparent the only way to fight the stigma is to literally tell anyone that is slightly curious.

The surgery will change you life, your relationship with food but it opens up/and takes away your ability to get "high" from food. You can bypass it with sugary drink, which I've done. I've gone as high as about 70% regain in weight, and now I'm steady at about 35% of the weight regain. I have to say I didn't/was not able to have the skin removal, so my sense of my size and how I'm perceived from other is distorted still.

This distortion isn't the fault or caused by the surgery or the need to start the weight loss journey.

wonder if your weight gain had anything to do with all the carbs you were eating for your "muscles"?

Alex74
on 8/10/18 4:51 pm - Chandler, AZ

Oh yes, but as 1 year plus out all that does not matter. It then becomes lifestyle change that holds you.

Alex74
on 8/8/18 8:07 pm - Chandler, AZ

The true power of the surgery is the ability for you to access a "healthier" lifestyle. If I had it over again I'd have gotten a better support system and be completely honest with friends. Judgement of yourself and what you think others think of you is the only real barrier. DO the surgery. There is literally everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Gwen M.
on 8/9/18 4:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Why have you put healthier in quotation marks? Do you not believe a post-WLS life is actually healthy?

AnnieG522
on 8/9/18 5:35 am
VSG on 10/05/17

Alex, welcome back to a place of support, and thanks for the very honest, plain perspective. I am only 10 months out from surgery, and I find a cautionary note in your post most helpful --substitutions. A thing I need to think on a bit. Right now I'm busy figuring out maintenance, rather than continued loss. I can see it would be easy for me to live on graham crackers & PB.

Yes, I believe support is critical to any sustained life change. But I'm old (66). Having had lots of "opportunity" for serious illness and health crisis that required disclosure to keep from dying, I pretty much told everyone before my surgery, and the why of my surgery. And then continue to bend their ears about the health benefits I've reaped in buckets. While not varnishing the "toad froth" puking, hair loss, and the lack of variety because I'm a bit lazy about cooking for me, and what I cook for my husband or family just doesn't taste the same.

How one views oneself is for most of a us a life battle, even outside society's physical judgment. The "old voices" of our family & friends historical view of us and our perceived shortcomings are often the loudest voices we hear.

I've learned that at 66 I am still vain and hate that I lost almost all my hair. Yes, it will grow back. The skin? Well clothes covers a bunch of the wrinkles in the birthday suit, but at 66 my expectation was probably pretty realisti****rtainly don't want any more surgeries....Yes, I would like arms that couldn't flap a flag tattoo.

I have found the friends I've truly disclosed to post surgery, about how I'm feeling about myself, are sad that I would even think I was "less than" in any way.

I truly hope you find support here; that you hear voices say you are pretty cool "as is" and that size will benefit your health, but your value is your heart.

'

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Alex74
on 8/10/18 4:52 pm - Chandler, AZ

Annie, you'll be just fine. You have the support system and a great perspective and attitude.

Most Active