Life update 2018 started over 10 years ago

NewLeaf
on 9/23/18 3:29 pm, edited 9/23/18 4:10 pm - Canada

i popped back to post an update. It is 2018 and I started my journey over 10 years ago. For those who don't know my story I started at 282 and hoping my life would change. Went down to 189 (lowest) post VSG when I couldn't eat from gallstones. It wasn't a true weight as I was sick and not heathy for weeks

Well my life has changed a lot. My weight stabled out post surgery at 210-220.

A few years ago I saw a photo of me... was in shock. Then I got motivated again and made a few changes. I went down to 180. Then hit the gym hard. This year I have been training hard and fluctuated between 180-190. I was training for a competition and went up to 196. I didn't sweat it because I was doing everything I could to get fit!

This year I have climbed a mountain, done an extreme hike, did a fun 5k, rocked the gym, tried new classes like pound, Zumba, strength, boot camps, and living my best life.

I feel strong...sexy and that I have come into my own! I did also become single this year ... kinda weird after many years together.

Looking back ... things I would say

• it's only a tool... whatever surgery you do...just a tool. Some of my friends have had surgery after me and put all the weight back on plus some.
  • Get help ... you can't do it alone. My best helpers at the weight wise clinic were the incredible dietician and nurse. Building a relationship with them and making small steady progress has kept me going long after I left the program. If you decide to go somewhere to get the surgery done... still get help or your results will be short term. You have to get your head right.
  • Start again... and again... don't give up. I have PCOS which makes it so hard to lose weight. It is a lifelong issue.
  • Be kind to yourself, love yourself at all stages.
  • Sometimes you will fall off... get back when you can
  • all diets will eventually fail 98%... instead learn your body your metabolic rate (through the dietician) and make small changes that can be maintained.
  • Get your vitamin D checked... mine was low and there is some link to weight
  • Ignore people's kindness in trying to give you their advice...listen to yourself... everyone knows deep within something that is right for them and they can do. When I joined the weight wise clinic I gave up diets. But I do still track my food. I use my fitness pal because it's free and you can scan food labels.
  • And find a group to share your struggles. I did a lot alone. But obesityhelp was amazing for me... I reviewed thousands of posts... made it me feel less alone and weird.
  • Besides don't give up... try something new or something you love. I danced like no one was watching at 282... and still do. Tell yourself no one is watching me... I'm going to move and do what I love.. and so what if others don?t like it (that is their problem)

Much love from me to you on your journey

We are all in this together. xoxo

I will try to upload a photo

You can either believe it will happen...or believe it won't both are self fulfilled prophesies

Started 282 Lost 37 lb + Pre op diet lost 12=49 pounds lost pre op. CW 185

NewLeaf
on 9/23/18 4:09 pm - Canada
Jess Says Yes
on 9/23/18 9:39 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

Great update & advice, I'm glad you're doing so well even after 10 years!

Jess

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde

Pre-op:-32 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-10 M5-13 M6-8 M7-12 M8-7 M9-7 M10-0 M11-11

NewLeaf
on 9/25/18 10:04 am - Canada

Thank you Jess-I appreciate the encouragement ...we are all on this journey

Kathy S.
on 9/24/18 11:30 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

NewLeaf
on 9/25/18 10:03 am - Canada

thank you, even old dogs need encouragement

You can either believe it will happen...or believe it won't both are self fulfilled prophesies

Started 282 Lost 37 lb + Pre op diet lost 12=49 pounds lost pre op. CW 185

Kathy S.
on 9/25/18 11:01 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I am right there with ya

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active