4 years post- got a problem (diet related)

mi75
on 9/25/18 2:23 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

All, I'm 4.5 years post VSG. Absolutely the BEST thing I ever did for myself. Lost almost all my weight but regained some (very long emotionally charged tale...). Anyway, last year I went full blast onto keto and lost all of my regain.

I purposely planned to 'cycle up' my carbs about 3 weeks ago. The purpose of this was to see how I was doing metabolically and have some medical testing done both IN and OUT of ketosis. med tests look good.

However, I've been trying to get back onto my keto eating style since then and am feeling crappy all the time. the increased fat is killing my stomach. I have nausea and belching. I also noticed that my GERD is going crazy again. it's not carb/sugar withdraw (i'm very familiar with that).

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions. I am making appt to see my surgeon and the Nut tomorrow but it will probably be a few weeks until I can get in.

I'm suspicious that my body is done tolerating keto and now I am going to try just 'bariatric' type eating- high protein, low carb and lower fat.

Thoughts?? and thanks!!

Cathy H.
on 9/25/18 2:50 pm, edited 9/25/18 6:05 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

It's possible you're just experiencing keto flu now that you're restricting your carbs again. How long have you been back on the keto WOE? All of your symptoms sound like that's exactly what you're going through. The only thing to do is stick it out until it passes.

What is the Keto Flu & How to Remedy It?

ETA: Your body won't get "done tolerating keto." I've been keto for 18 months and going strong. I am in maintenance, but when I go up a few pounds and want to lose, I up my fats and the weight comes off. Once you "upped your carbs" you took your body out of ketosis. Now you have to start the process all over again and it can take a couple of weeks to get back in, and many people go through keto flu all over again. If you truly want to live the keto lifestyle, hang in there.

If you aren't planning on making it your permanent lifestyle choice and are using it just as a "diet", then it doesn't matter what diet you choose, since diets are temporary. However, I highly recommend choosing a permanent lifestyle change and sticking with it, instead of picking and choosing "diets"...they're what got a lot of us SMO in the first place.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

snuzyQ
on 9/25/18 9:59 pm

I think your suspicions are both intuitive and astute. You sense that your body is telling you "enough of the keto already". The 'bariatric' type eating really does make a lot of sense...making sure we get sufficient protein, low carb and low fat.

My bariatric clinic is using the bariatric 1200 calorie plan as our preoperative diet...lean meats, about 130 grams of low-glycemic carbs per day and trimming the fat way down but not out. I have a butter-loving body, so I'm finding this diet to be pretty challenging for me. I'm keeping a food journal and writing everything down so my surgeon and nutritionist can keep track of what and how I'm doing. My clinic's guidelines recommend keeping the food journal for life, forever, after VSG. Surgery will probably happen after the New Year. I've lost 9 pounds on the above diet so far in about 10 days...only 111 to go!

Most Active