Getting discouraged

J9
on 9/29/18 7:54 am
VSG on 06/28/18

so here is my journey thus far...I am getting a little discouraged could use so encouragement

surgery date 6/28

7/29. -17.1

8/29 -8.6

9/29. -4

total loss 29.7

i am not complaining but I am still 30 lbs from goal and at this rate the honeymoon period will be over and I won't reach it. I normally am a slow loser but I had surgery to help that ...at this rate weigh****chers has higher stats! I will admit I struggle with protein intake but calories remain 600 or less. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed good or bad I just want some help! Thanks

hollykim
on 9/29/18 11:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 29, 2018 at 2:54 PM Pacific Time, J9 wrote:

so here is my journey thus far...I am getting a little discouraged could use so encouragement

surgery date 6/28

7/29. -17.1

8/29 -8.6

9/29. -4

total loss 29.7

i am not complaining but I am still 30 lbs from goal and at this rate the honeymoon period will be over and I won't reach it. I normally am a slow loser but I had surgery to help that ...at this rate weigh****chers has higher stats! I will admit I struggle with protein intake but calories remain 600 or less. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed good or bad I just want some help! Thanks

what does a days menu look like for you?

snuzyQ
on 9/29/18 6:15 pm

Hi hollykim!

Wow...30 pounds down. You're doing so well! I agree that this is a marathon and building better health habits to last a lifetime is the way to go. I'm normally a slow loser, too.

I'm eating my protein first and striving to meet the 70 to 80 grams per day that my surgeon has outlined. I'm including carbohydrate with each meal (3 squares per day, no grazing) and am keeping the fats low - but not non-existent. I'm having vegetables/fruits (5 servings per day) second and whole grains/potatoes last. Rice tends to stick and cause problems.

Adding a few calories to your total might help to lift your spirits and improve your weight loss. I'm blending 2 egg yolks with my protein shakes...adds 5 grams more protein with some very healthful fats (10 grams) to keep the hair and skin looking vibrant. 120 calories are added to each of your shakes. Adding a scoop (2 TBSP.) peanut butter powder (you can find this on Amazon) adds deliciousness, 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of carbohydrate, 1.5 grams of fat and 50 calories to your regimen.

I found a lovely protein shake cookbook with lots of wonderful ideas/flavors and highly recommend it: " The Bariatric Foodie Guide to Perfect Protein Shakes (Yes, every time!)" by Nikki Massie who had Roux-en-Y GBS in 2008. She really knows her way around her whey and protein isolate powder. She's looking fantastic today - 10 years later and had lots of fun playing with her food in the meanwhile.

You can do this. Give yourself what you need. Don't be afraid...your body will respond beautifully.

Gwen M.
on 9/29/18 7:06 pm, edited 9/29/18 12:06 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

That sounds like a lot of food. You are pre-op, though..

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MarinaGirl
on 9/30/18 7:27 am, edited 9/30/18 12:27 am

A lot of your advice is not the best for someone that is 3 months post-WLS.

Amy R.
on 9/30/18 8:39 am

Please consider clearly stating that you are PRE-op when you post things like this.

Pre op and post op are very different situations. I understand that you want to encourage. But the eating plans for the two are not interchangeable. Pretty much ever.

As for Nik: You really seem to enjoy her book and she'd probably be glad to hear that so consider letting her know if you haven't already. Also, if you search OH for "Cleopatra Nik" you'll pull up her history here. Right from the beginning.

Good luck, I hope your enthusiasm carries you all the way through to January and beyond.

hollykim
on 9/30/18 2:26 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 30, 2018 at 1:15 AM Pacific Time, snuzyQ wrote:

Hi hollykim!

Wow...30 pounds down. You're doing so well! I agree that this is a marathon and building better health habits to last a lifetime is the way to go. I'm normally a slow loser, too.

I'm eating my protein first and striving to meet the 70 to 80 grams per day that my surgeon has outlined. I'm including carbohydrate with each meal (3 squares per day, no grazing) and am keeping the fats low - but not non-existent. I'm having vegetables/fruits (5 servings per day) second and whole grains/potatoes last. Rice tends to stick and cause problems.

Adding a few calories to your total might help to lift your spirits and improve your weight loss. I'm blending 2 egg yolks with my protein shakes...adds 5 grams more protein with some very healthful fats (10 grams) to keep the hair and skin looking vibrant. 120 calories are added to each of your shakes. Adding a scoop (2 TBSP.) peanut butter powder (you can find this on Amazon) adds deliciousness, 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of carbohydrate, 1.5 grams of fat and 50 calories to your regimen.

I found a lovely protein shake cookbook with lots of wonderful ideas/flavors and highly recommend it: " The Bariatric Foodie Guide to Perfect Protein Shakes (Yes, every time!)" by Nikki Massie who had Roux-en-Y GBS in 2008. She really knows her way around her whey and protein isolate powder. She's looking fantastic today - 10 years later and had lots of fun playing with her food in the meanwhile.

You can do this. Give yourself what you need. Don't be afraid...your body will respond beautifully.

actually,you read my ticker wrong. Ipurposly stopped losing at 33 # shy of the goal I set. The ticket states 33# to go.

i have lost 122# and maintained the loss for nearly 8 years.

I think,mostly,as a pre op,you don't know what you are talking about.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/30/18 9:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Adding calories will NOT cause you to lose weight. That's not how the body works.

Do you have any medical training? Have you had surgery? I would strongly suggest you stop giving advice until you know what you're talking about.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

J9
on 9/30/18 6:46 am
VSG on 06/28/18

Coffee-20 is with premier protein as creamer

either a high protein yogurt or hardboiled egg

as I am writing this I realize I have no rhyme or reason in my diet schedule. There is no structure ...ok maybe I answered myself lol...I am going to start concentrating on proteins and start from there!

Chanelcamp26
on 9/29/18 11:12 am
VSG on 07/24/18

Don't be discouraged! My weight loss has slowed in the last two weeks as well. Once I started getting closer to my protein goals and exercising more, I noticed I felt better and my body is making changes. If you consistently hit your goals: protein, water, calories, vitamins, exercise... the weight will come off. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

You are building lifelong better habits. You got this!!!

Most Active