I just need to vent

TripleAxel
on 10/16/18 5:13 am
VSG on 09/20/18

I'm feeling a bit discouraged so thought I'd come to a place where people can relate. I had surgery 3.5 weeks ago, and until a few days ago, things were going pretty well diet-speaking; I'm in the pureed phase. The last few days, though, I've been having some GERD. It's freaking me out because I know that it can be a long-term chronic effect of VSG, and that was probably the thing I was most afraid of going in. Prior to surgery, I had very occasional GERD, maybe a few times a year.

Has anyone else had a temporary roadblock with GERD that did not become a long-term issue?

(BTW, my dr. puts everyone on Prilosec daily for three months after surgery, so I am taking that.)

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

PCBR
on 10/16/18 6:04 am

Well, I'm early out so I can't speak long term. Developing it is my chief worry.

I was on a PPD 30 days after surgery, not for GERD per se, but for healing. I can't recall the exact timetable, but a bit before my 2 month appt, I had a couple of awful episodes of GERD while trying to lay down--to the extent that I called the doc office for a refill on the PPD. Like you, I was upset. However, shortly thereafter, it cleared up. I suspect it came on due to a combo of new anatomy, and me learning the what/when's of what I could eat at that time OR just the natural course of healing. It basically went away without me really having to take anything. Though note: sometimes I do eat something that I feel like causes some acid flare up and I'll have a tums from time to time.

I'm not saying don't worry about it. We should all worry about it a little. Just because mine went away does not mean it cannot return. Is just say at this point, it may just be your body healing and your tolerances changing.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

TripleAxel
on 10/16/18 7:50 am
VSG on 09/20/18

Thanks so much for your reply. It's very encouraging. I hope mine is temporary. It may have something to do with constipation possibly?

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

PCBR
on 10/16/18 10:51 am

Mine popped up after constipation had resolved. For me, it seemed like tomatoes and bell pepper contributed. Now I can eat those things with no problem.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

jrbushey1234
on 10/16/18 10:21 am
VSG on 09/18/18

Hello,

I am just 4 weeks out and have not had the typical acid from heartburn, I hope things get better for your.

Managing this early maybe the key to not having it, I would contact the doctor office, maybe they have something stronger.

Goodluck

diane S.
on 10/16/18 12:37 pm

My doctor too puts everyone on prilosec for a few months after surgery. I was on it before due to a hiatal hernia that was repaired during veg. after a few months I was off it it completely.

There are stronger ppt drugs like protonix . you might ask about it. I also did well with gas-x strips that melt in mouth but I am not finding them in stores anymore. GL diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

GirlSquadOfOne
on 10/20/18 4:26 pm
VSG on 09/11/18

Your not alone! I'm a month and a half out and am getting Gerd as well. It seems to come and go so hopefully it's only temporary.

TripleAxel
on 10/21/18 9:51 am
VSG on 09/20/18

So I'm not absolutely sure of this yet, but I may have found the problem. I think the issue is drinking plain water. I had been drinking my protein shake and then drinking plain water until 30 mins. before the next meal, and between 30 mins after dinner and one hour before bedtime. I saw on this forum and others that some have a problem tolerating plain water. So most of yesterday and today, I've been alternating sips of shake and water and done fine. When my two shakes are done for the day, I've had herbal tea instead of plain water. Fingers crossed, this was the issue and I'll get back on track!

Most Active