Are there many VSGers that lost 50% of total body weight?

AccrualWorld
on 10/18/18 8:30 am
VSG on 02/05/19

I am about half way through my 90 day nutrition program prior to surgery approval. I have been having a very hard time deciding which surgery, since I originally had my mind set on VSG but my surgeon suggested that people with a BMI higher than 40, especially women, tend to see better results with RNY and my BMI is 48. But RNY makes me nervous for various reasons.

Anyway, I have about half of my body weight to lose in order to be at a "normal" BMI. I've read a ton of statistics and I realize "typical" is losing 60-70% of excess body weight. So I'm mostly curious how many real life people lose 100% of their excess body weight and/or achieve 50% total weight loss? I obviously want to lose as much weight as possible which makes RNY more appealing but I don't know if the difference is worth it regarding my concerns against RNY.

BTW I am 32 years old, since it seems like age can be a factor in results. Thanks in advance!

hollykim
on 10/18/18 1:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 18, 2018 at 3:30 PM Pacific Time, AccrualWorld wrote:

I am about half way through my 90 day nutrition program prior to surgery approval. I have been having a very hard time deciding which surgery, since I originally had my mind set on VSG but my surgeon suggested that people with a BMI higher than 40, especially women, tend to see better results with RNY and my BMI is 48. But RNY makes me nervous for various reasons.

Anyway, I have about half of my body weight to lose in order to be at a "normal" BMI. I've read a ton of statistics and I realize "typical" is losing 60-70% of excess body weight. So I'm mostly curious how many real life people lose 100% of their excess body weight and/or achieve 50% total weight loss? I obviously want to lose as much weight as possible which makes RNY more appealing but I don't know if the difference is worth it regarding my concerns against RNY.

BTW I am 32 years old, since it seems like age can be a factor in results. Thanks in advance!

I had 50% total wt loss. Started at 250 ended at 125. I lost 123# nearly 8 years ago at age 56.

Not at nearly 64 yrs, I have maintained the loss and o did NO exercise.

TheWombat
on 10/18/18 1:34 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Wow! That's inspiring.

AccrualWorld
on 10/18/18 1:46 pm
VSG on 02/05/19

That is very inspiring! I am terrified of going through all of this only to be a failure, so the successes definitely amp me up that it's possible to achieve exactly what you want and need. Thank you :)

facetedginger
on 10/18/18 3:01 pm

In six months, I've lost almost 30%, so I'm fairly confident I'll see a 50% or greater loss. The truth is, I know at some point my tool will no longer be "magic" and it will entirely be up to me... but I'm fully prepared for that. The weight loss so far is so beyond motivating that I'm already doing things I never thought I was capable of.

catwoman7
on 10/18/18 4:23 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I've read some articles that say about 10% of WLS patients lose 100% of their excess body weight (it may depend on the surgery - I'm guessing the percentage is higher among DS patients), but that said, there seem to be a lot of us on OH who have done it. Although I suspect that since we're active on OH (i.e., keeping our head in the game for months or years post-op), have the support of others on OH, and have plenty of role models on here who have lost all their weight - plays a part in this.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

AccrualWorld
on 10/18/18 5:33 pm
VSG on 02/05/19

Yes those are really good points. I've been doing so much research, reading through this forum, watching youtube videos, reading statistics, etc, and a common theme is to stay involved and keep your support system close. Thank you!

Cathy H.
on 10/18/18 4:47 pm, edited 10/18/18 9:49 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I'm 5'3" tall, and was 56 (almost 57) when I had my surgery. When I started my journey I weighed 360 lbs, BMI of 63.8. The day of surgery I weighed 299 lbs, BMI of 53. I have lost MORE than 50% of my body weight, and currently have a BMI of 29.

If figured on "ideal body weight" of 140 for normal BMI, I have lost 85% of my excess body weight since surgery, 93% all together. I, however, feel that 150-160 is a perfectly fine place for me to be, so that makes it nearly 100% of excess body weight (according to my doctor, I'm already at 100%...he was happy with and set my goal at 175).

Either surgery is as successful as the person who has it makes it. In order to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF, you have to make the necessary permanent changes to the way you eat, and maintain them for life. It's hard work--I say and maintain that it is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life (I never gave birth). I never worked harder at losing weight, but this time I knew I had the tool I needed to keep it off.

You can do it if you work hard and commit to what's involved. I wish I'd done mine at 32! Good luck on your own journey!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

AccrualWorld
on 10/18/18 5:31 pm
VSG on 02/05/19

That's amazing and super inspiring! It's funny that once I decided to pursue surgery, I kept thinking in my mind that I should have done it years ago. But I think that's the way most things in life go when you do something to better yourself.

Thanks so much for sharing your stats and for your encouragement.

Ms.Ronnie
on 10/18/18 5:53 pm - Brooklyn, NY

Hi...I had my VSG 8/10/09 (Dr. Ed Yatco @ Lenox Hill in NY). I dropped from 317 to 205 in less than a year. Unfortunately, I got too comfortable and let myself slip back into old habits and regained 40 pounds over the last few years. I've lost 35 lbs since January 2018 and have 20 more to reach my personal goal. If a person doesn't change their lifestyle, weight gain is inevitable. I'll be 60 next month and I finally got my "a-ha" reality check! I've been exercising and eating healthy meals and I feel great! It's about choosing the right things every single day...the results are well worth it! All the best to you ?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views